register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Vendors, Discounts & Auctions

Old 04-11-2019, 09:39 AM   #1
jointbeaker

Lennon's Mirror Eliminators - Gen2 FZ1

The original ideation thread is here: http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=146337

My name is Mark Lennon, and my day job is a plastics packaging designer. 3d design is something that I really enjoy...and as such, this project made complete sense. Combining my passion of design and motorcycles is about as far from "work" as I can get, and it was a blast. The below thread will try to walk you thru the process I followed to get to the final product...and I'm quite happy with how things turned out.

If at any point you have some questions that I can help with, please feel free to reach out to me direct at marklennon.design@gmail.com and I'll try to get back to you asap. Or better yet, leave a reply here....

At my current place of employment, we've got some cool engineering tools to play with. One Saturday, after purchasing a Gen2 FZ1 that came with some extra body parts, I brought a spare fairing in, and scanned it with a Romer laser scanning arm. That output a raw file, that looked like this:

I've got a video of a previous design project...so, the laser arm looks like this:

I'm comfortable with a 3d cad package, Solidworks, so that's where I started once the scan was complete.

Once you have the fairing in SW, I started by reverse engineering the pocket on the fairing that gets covered up by the stock mirror boot. The red surface is the scanned model, and the gray surfaces are what I'm laying on top of the scan. What you really want to see, is a mesh between the scan, and the cad geometry...where you can see color from both surfaces combining and meshing together.

So, you go around the inside of the void on the fairing, and you build up base surfaces that'll lay tight to the fairing. That'll look something like this:

Once that's done, you get to more fun stuff....trying lay out and mimic the geometry of the outer swoopie surfaces of the fairing. This is what everyone will see, and it's where I was the most critical of in my own work. That looks like this:

When you combine the swoopie surfaces, and your 'base' created with the first step, you end up with something like this:

I was trying to be super critical of the quality of the surfaces created, and as such, I ended up making 6 different models, and ordered prints of each of them. Each time I got happy with one specific surface and how it blended in with the fairing, I'd find something else I wasn't 100% happy with.

Here's a layout of the first 4 sets of prints made:

Most of the prints were ordered thru Shapeways, using the cheapest method of 3d printing. Version2 and 3 were printed locally here in DeKalb by a local machine shop, using ABS material and a FDM printer. I didn't like the surface quality of the ABS, and did not like the sounds of putting ABS thru an acetone vapor bath, essentially letting a chemical reaction 'melt' a layer of material and smooth it out. That seemed counter intuitive to me.

After these 4 sets, I had two more sets printed with small changes after version4 was received. Ultimately, version6 is what I'm now offering for sale.

When I first bought the Gen2, this was probably one of the first things that I honestly wanted to do. Being able to combine two passions of mine; motorcycles and 3d design....has been nothing short of an amazingly fun time.

INSERT MORE photos of finished Mirror Eliminators here.

They're available for purchase at Shapeways right now, at the below link: (the price varies on the color, and material choice)

https://www.shapeways.com/product/NJ...li=marketplace

I've got some introductory pricing in effect for the month of April, with regular pricing coming June 1st, 2019.

For orders from North America, I know your parts will come from their print facility in New York. Shapeways also has another print facility in the Netherlands, so for the European customers...that should help keep shipping costs down...

Please let me know if anyone has any questions. I'll be working toward filling out the next couple of posts over the next few days, to give a better view into the process, with more specific details, ideas, and suggestions.

Cheers.
Mark Lennon

Last edited by jointbeaker; 04-29-2019 at 10:33 PM. Reason: moar information. Hehe
jointbeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:41 AM   #2
jointbeaker

I wanted to share a bit more technical design information, just so everyone knows what they'd be getting and there are no surprises. I've got starter holes laid out on the back of the Mirror Eliminators, and they line up quite nicely with the stock mirror mounting holes in the fairing stay. Turns out, getting underneath the fairing stay, and getting a decent looking photo...is somewhat difficult.

The other thing I wanted to cover, is the size, and the available depths of the mounting holes, should you choose to use them. They're a 0.125" diameter, and 0.300" deep. Based on the model, you can go probably a bit over 0.385" deep before a drill bit would start poking thru the front side. See below.

This Nylon material IS able to be drilled out, so if you want to use your own hardware, you're more than able to do so. Apparently the nylon IS in fact tappable with a standard tap & die set...Had one of the first customers do his own tapping, using the provided start holes as a guide. The one thing I would caution, is the depth you push the tap...there just isn't a huge amount of material available there. Please refer to the photo guide above for depth information.

There were quite a few different ideas on HOW to mount these to the factory locations at the build thread, found HERE.

Cheers.
mark

Last edited by jointbeaker; 04-23-2019 at 08:24 PM. Reason: adding additional information
Old 04-11-2019, 09:42 AM   #3
jointbeaker

I'm offering these parts in two different materials, and YES, there is a rather large difference in costs. Let me explain:

Material 01 - ShapeWays 'Versatile Plastic'
* Available in black, and white
* Something to say about this color....it's dyed only on the surface. The powder that builds up the product, is white. Once it's done printing, it gets dyed the color of choice. If the Eliminator catches a large rock, it MAY dent, and expose the inside white material.
* If you're planning on painting yourself, save a few bucks, and purchase the "White Versatile Plastic" parts. There's no sense in paying for the black Versatile Plastic, if you're painting.
* If you want black Mirror Eliminators, at the lowest cost...and you're NOT painting, this is a good option. Just know that the black color that SHapeways offers in Versatile Plastic is a dye, and underneath the black 'layer' it's just the white powder, that's been cured.....So if your Eliminator catches a rock, the white 'guts' may show thru...
* This IS Shapeways cheapest material. Having said that, I've had a part I designed a few years back on my Gen1, and have had no issues with the mat'l.
* Has a slightly grainy texture to it
**Compared to a FDM printed part, this is quite smooth, and a fine grit sandpaper would make quick work of the small amount of texture there...
* The material is sandable, drillable, and paintable
* more information about this material is available HERE
* Material Data Sheet available here: https://www.shapeways.com/rrstatic/m...strongflex.pdf
* insert photos of Versatile Plastic parts here

Material 02 - Multi Jet Fusion PA12 Nylon
* Almost 2x the cost of the Versatile Plastic to manufacture...This material is said to be more resistant to fading due to UV light...
* For those looking for a black Mirror Eliminator, I would suggest this material. I think you could get away with little to no processing/sanding yourself...all you'd have to do is decide on how you're mounting to the fairing, and install.
* This material is a much darker powder, and available only in gray/black varieties. My understanding is that both colors are printed in their respective powder color. So if the surface is black, the middle of the part is black....This is a big difference when comparing the cheaper Versatile Plastic material...
* This surface finish I'd say is a bit smoother than the Versatile mat'l as well...
* more information about this material is available HERE
* Material Data Sheet available here: https://static1.sw-cdn.net/files/cms...ta%20sheet.pdf
* insert photos of PA12 parts here

I also wanted to include a cool video, kind of walking you thru the Shapeways process....It's a 4 minute video and worth a watch.

Painting your Mirror Eliminators? See below for examples posted on social media...

01- Painted White Versatile Plastic. (admittedly not a lot of prep work here, and rattle canned at work) Still looked quite nice in person.

02- These were posted just last night on Facebook, and they look great. Waiting for photos of them mounted. These ALSO started their lives out as White Versatile Plastic parts...

I asked how he got these results, and the reply I'll copy/paste here:

Quote:
Sure.
Start by course dry sanding very lightly.
Work your way up with finer grit, again lightly..
Then I primed with sandable primer. And stuck with dry sanding 800-1000 grit. Repeated this process until smooth.
There were still a few imperfections but I didn't want to dig in to deep, especially near the ridges.
Finally sprayed a base coat and wet sanded 1000-2000.
I put down 4 coats no longer sanding then 2 coats of clear

edit: and here's the installed photos

Last edited by jointbeaker; 04-29-2019 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:43 AM   #4
jointbeaker

Lastly, Shapeways DOES allow for custom work to be done to each part, to a certain extent.

Say, Customer X really wants to have his screen name on his Mirror Eliminators. I'd be happy to work with you, and make something even more custom available to you.

Pretty much anything would be possible there... PM me, or email, for more info on that one...

Last edited by jointbeaker; 04-23-2019 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:27 AM   #5
fermic37

love em!

I think these will sell fast for those not wanting to spring for a copper dawg, but want bar end mirrors and clean mirror blanks.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:42 PM   #6
bmidd
Yet Another Gen1

Those are nice!
bmidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:56 PM   #7
jointbeaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermic37 View Post
love em!

I think these will sell fast for those not wanting to spring for a copper dawg, but want bar end mirrors and clean mirror blanks.
I wish I could find a way to manufacture them at a lower cost, but at this point in the game I don't think I'd ever re-coup the tooling costs.

It's all 100% custom, and I'm happy with the end product. Thanks Mike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmidd View Post
Those are nice!
Thanks Brian.

I'm slowly trying to build up this thread with all of the pertinent information a buyer would want to know, prior to making a decision.

Cheers fellas.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:19 PM   #8
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

Nicely done.

One of the reasons I bought a 3D printer years ago was to make small parts for motorcycles like this. Still sitting on the endless list of things I've never gotten around to..

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:40 PM   #9
jointbeaker

Updated material choices section, and included a video over-view of the Shapeways process.

Also, Introductory pricing is still valid thru the end of April '19.

Available HERE. Click ME

Last edited by jointbeaker; 04-18-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:42 AM   #10
kjm

Scooped a set of the white ones up. Thanks for making these!
kjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:41 PM   #11
jointbeaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjm View Post
Scooped a set of the white ones up. Thanks for making these!
Hey Kevin - Thanks for the purchase. I'll look forward to seeing your review once you get them in hand.

Cheers.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:33 AM   #12
jointbeaker

Heard from one of the first buyers this morning. Hope to hear from more soon. Sounds like Matt used a tap to thread the insert, and bolted them up.

For those looking for a more finished look, I'm guessing a sandable primer should be in play here....

and here's the photos he's shared with me:

Old 04-19-2019, 10:24 AM   #13
fermic37

Yeah a high build primer will hide those marks. But they look good!
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:35 AM   #14
jointbeaker

Introductory pricing still valid for another week or so. Prices will go up slightly May 01, 2019.

Best seller up to this point has been the cheapest available option (white versatile plastic), and for good reason. If the end user is going to be painting (and sanding)...there's no reason to buy the black Versatile Plastic option.

Lemme know if anyone has any questions.

Cheers.

Last edited by jointbeaker; 04-23-2019 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:04 AM   #15
jointbeaker

Added a few new photos above from purchased parts, shared on Facebook.

Pretty cool to see that there's been parts sold to Canada, Spain, Australia, and a few sets in the US.

Have a great weekend.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:04 PM   #16
jointbeaker

Added some more photos to post #3, HERE.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:10 AM   #17
jointbeaker

a few more finished photos here.

Originally I had thought I'd run the introductory pricing thru April, but I made a mistake on my part, and put June 1 on the first post in this thread, so...pricing will stay As-Is for another couple weeks, and change to regular pricing on June 1st.

Cheers.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:26 PM   #18
riding4fun

Just placed my order. Thank you
riding4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:37 PM   #19
jointbeaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by riding4fun View Post
Just placed my order. Thank you
Hey Thanks. If you do anything close to the new Gen2 like what you did with your gen1...it'll be a pretty nicely set up bike.

Please post pictures once you get them....Planning on painting, or?

Cheers.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:22 PM   #20
riding4fun

Paint to match the white paint unless the white plastic matches well enough. Nothing too fancy. I still need to get the bike here first. lol its supposed to be shipped out on Monday. Just collecting a few little things now to keep myself busy.
Thank you for the complement
riding4fun is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Vendors, Discounts & Auctions