register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Service & Maintenance > Gen 1 Service & Maintenance

Old 12-02-2017, 04:47 PM   #61
Falcon 269
Just passing through

There's something amiss here. This isn't something you should have to live with.

I've never had a problem with slides sticking, so I doubt that's the issue here. Also, you were careful not to cut too much off the springs, so I think those are OK, as well. However, you can remove and check each slide, spring, diaphragm and the seating of the needles without removing the carbs, if you need to go back into the top end of the carbs.

Does it return to idle normally once it's up to temp?

If it's not right when cold but the symptoms go away when the motor is up to temp, that suggests lean fuelling, perhaps due to low fuel level (incorrect float height) or an air leak. You've checked for the latter, so if you're content you've eliminated that possibility, move on.

A weak spark might have been struggling to give good combustion on a cold, fuel-enriched charge. Let's hope that fresh plugs have taken that out of the equation.

Try setting the TPS to give you a 10k reading on the tacho using the built-in set-up process. Also, inspect the wiring where it enters the body of the TPS and the contacts in the TPS connector block.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:43 PM   #62
arkie6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicklebok View Post
...I have them set on the Ivan jet recommended number of turns which I think is 4 turns out...
If you drill both bypass holes the spec is 4 1/2 to 5 turns out.

You have symptoms of being too lean. I would set them at 5 turns out which is where Ivan recommends as a starting point. Mine was still a bit lean at 5 turns out.

arkie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:36 PM   #63
bicklebok

Thank you Arkie and Falcon.

I check the harness behind the fairing and all looks good there.
The TPS is at 10.

I bought a cheap angled screw driver and It doesnt work very well, but I tried to turn the screws another round out. Its running pretty good for the moment but i have fuel weeping from somewhere. I tried to snug on the bowl screws with an angled screwdriver and Im hoping that got it. Will check again later.

If that doesnt work i will pull the carb bank out the side of the bike and reset the air fuel screws again and snug on the bowl screws a little more.

Thank you for the help!

Identical twin brother of the late forum member Sammax
bicklebok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 02:40 PM   #64
Falcon 269
Just passing through

If you're going to pull the carbs out that far, might as well go the whole hog and put 'em on the bench again to check float levels, etc.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:29 AM   #65
arkie6

Quote:
...The TPS is at 10...
But did you set it dynamically per Ivan's instructions on the sheet above?
arkie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:32 AM   #66
bicklebok

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
But did you set it dynamically per Ivan's instructions on the sheet above?
I did not Arkie. I used the method on Pat's web site. If you think the end result will be different, I can use Ivan's method.

The problem I had returning to idle immediately after a rev is gone. Does fine after the engine warms up. Fingers crossed on that!

The past 2 times I started it cold, there were no problems at all except it still likes a lot of choke when cold like a stock FZ does.

Will check the fuel weep when I get home from work today.

Thanks for the help!

Old 12-04-2017, 09:58 AM   #67
Falcon 269
Just passing through

Nothing wrong with the bike requiring a bit of choke even after 'Ivanising'. If you think about it, if it didn't it would indicate that the idle mixture is far too rich.

You will almost certainly find that after doing the TPS adjustment dynamically the tacho will read 10k rpm. Doing it Ivan's way is just fine-tuning it a little bit more but it won't have been a factor in your issues to date.

Glad to hear that you seem to be about done and dusted. Just the fuel weep to resolve.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:33 PM   #68
bicklebok

Falcon, and Arkie-cant thank you enough for the help! Will update tonight or tomorrow.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:02 PM   #69
bicklebok

Well, I still had fuel leaks. It looks like the bowl drain was leaking on 2 carbs, but it may just be where the fuel collects. Dont want to over tighten them, but I snugged them just a little more and will recheck tomorrow. Other than that, I could be riding. Im guessing the only other suspect for a leak would be the bowl gaskets.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:48 PM   #70
Pat Glenn
Everything's Just Ducky

Quote:
Im guessing the only other suspect for a leak would be the bowl gaskets.
Or those float needle assembly o-rings.

Pat
Pat Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:37 AM   #71
Falcon 269
Just passing through

If those are letting by, Pat, the fuel level in the float bowls goes way high and you get a nasty rich misfire below 3k rpm.

I know because mine did exactly that just recently after being left unridden for a few months.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:16 AM   #72
Pat Glenn
Everything's Just Ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon 269 View Post
after being left unridden for a few months.
Mike, how could you?

Pat
Pat Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:13 AM   #73
bicklebok

Hey Pat! Welcome to the 6 month project of me installing a jet kit. LOL
I replaced those O rings when I put the kit in, so hopefully, that's not the problem.

I checked everything again this morning and it "appears" the #3 carb still has a tiny drip from the bowl drain. But again, it could just be working it's way there from somewhere else. I did take the drains loose before the jet kit, so I'm hoping thats the problem.

Oh, here's a question I have been meaning to ask. Have any of you ever seen the intake boots crack all the way through? Mine look pretty rough with some deep looking cracks, but it could just be cosmetic. I didnt check the inside of the boots when I had the carbs off.

Thanks again!

Old 12-05-2017, 06:39 AM   #74
Falcon 269
Just passing through

Touche, Pat, touche!

Intake stubs? I've seen literally thousands and never seen one cracked all the way through. Seen some pretty bad internal decay in a couple, that's all.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:15 AM   #75
bicklebok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon 269 View Post
Touche, Pat, touche!

Intake stubs? I've seen literally thousands and never seen one cracked all the way through. Seen some pretty bad internal decay in a couple, that's all.
That's good to hear Falcon!

Old 12-06-2017, 06:00 AM   #76
bicklebok

Here's the latest:

If I have any fuel leaks when I check it tonight, I'm going to just set the carbs out the side and snug the bowls up a little better. I probably should have done that to start with!

One of the days I might actually get to ride this thing!

Thanks for all the help and support!

Old 12-06-2017, 10:01 AM   #77
jimco
It's the journey...

Is it possible you didn't get the float bowl gasket seated in the groove?

I've seen gaskets not want to lie flat or the bends in the gasket not match the bends in the groove.

I have used a bit (small dab) of grease to hold the gasket in place while installing the bowl. Vaseline might work, too. Just don't use to much of whatever you chose to use.

If this is the case tightening the screws will not help. You need to remove the bowls, inspect the gaskets for flat spots or breaks (cuts), re-position the gasket (replace if necessary) and re-attach the bowls.

Don't over tighten the screws. Snug is good enough, if everything in its proper place.

Oh, another thing, the bowls will be full of gas. So drain the bowls before removing the screws. Tipping the carb bank will also allow the gas to run out. But you probably knew this already.

Hope this helps.
Jim
jimco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:37 AM   #78
bicklebok

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimco View Post
Is it possible you didn't get the float bowl gasket seated in the groove?

I've seen gaskets not want to lie flat or the bends in the gasket not match the bends in the groove.

I have used a bit (small dab) of grease to hold the gasket in place while installing the bowl. Vaseline might work, too. Just don't use to much of whatever you chose to use.

If this is the case tightening the screws will not help. You need to remove the bowls, inspect the gaskets for flat spots or breaks (cuts), re-position the gasket (replace if necessary) and re-attach the bowls.

Don't over tighten the screws. Snug is good enough, if everything in its proper place.

Oh, another thing, the bowls will be full of gas. So drain the bowls before removing the screws. Tipping the carb bank will also allow the gas to run out. But you probably knew this already.

Hope this helps.
Jim
Thanks Jim. I'm really not even sure where the fuel leak is coming from, except it's on carb #2. As you mentioned, it looks like I need to take a look at the gasket to make sure its positioned right and not broken. I have been tempted to just order new gaskets and replace them all.

On another note, I bought a cheap air/fuel 90 degree screwdriver. Last night I was going to grind the head of the screw driver tip to make sure it would fit the FZ carb, and dummy me tried to use an electric grinder. The screw driver tip touched the wheel too hard and flew across the room. LOL Due to the tool's design, I cant just just use another screw driver tip because its hollow and slides over a cable. The tool is useless without it, so I have contacted the seller to see if it's possible to get another tip.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Service & Maintenance > Gen 1 Service & Maintenance