open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear

Old 12-03-2017, 09:17 AM   #1
JKENDALL

Rain gear

I bought a set of Froggtoggs rain gear at my local shop
and I absolutely LOVE them. Super light, easy to put on and comfortable. They are made of a Tyvek like material instead of rubberized nylon. And very affordable to. I highly recommend them.
JKENDALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:29 AM   #2
Z Grand
Never Grew Up

Been wearing Frogg Toggs rain gear for years. Nothing will keep you totally dry in a prolonged downpour, but these do the best job.
90 Honda Hawk GT
79 Honda CBX
82 Honda CB900F
Z Grand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:55 AM   #3
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Frogg Toggs also make a riding jacket with hood geared specifically towards the motorcyclist. I have one in fluorescent green and love it. Packs tight and small, quick and easy to don. Longer 3/4 length provides great coverage and the hood is thin to fit well under the helmet and keep water from gettin in around the neck.

I don't use the pants, as once you sit in a puddle of water in your seat, you may find the weak point of Tyvek. I have some cheap rainpants from another suit that keeps the lower half dry.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:19 AM   #4
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

I wore Frogg Toggs for years and was relatively satisfied with them, until I tried a set of AlpineStars Hurricane jacket and pant combo. The AlpineStars gear keeps me drier and the fit is more tailored - it doesn't flap around at all and seems to be made more durable. The hi-vis option really pops, when riding in rain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reduced rain image for fz1 site.jpg (191.9 KB, 59 views)
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:43 AM   #5
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Olympia Airglide gear! The jacket and pant have a removable rain liner that can be worn under the clothing as a windbreaker, or over the top as a rain cover. Nice quality stuff. The jacket even has a pouch at the back to put the liners in.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:47 AM   #6
Chipb21
Neomaxie Zoomdwebie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
I wore Frogg Toggs for years and was relatively satisfied with them, until I tried a set of AlpineStars Hurricane jacket and pant combo. The AlpineStars gear keeps me drier and the fit is more tailored - it doesn't flap around at all and seems to be made more durable. The hi-vis option really pops, when riding in rain.
For the AlpineStars Hurricane gear...Did you go up one size to fit over your gear, or did you get your normal size and its designed/sized to fit over gear? The combo work well or would you buy the full suit if you had to do it over?
Chipb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:17 AM   #7
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipb21 View Post
For the AlpineStars Hurricane gear...Did you go up one size to fit over your gear, or did you get your normal size and its designed/sized to fit over gear? The combo work well or would you buy the full suit if you had to do it over?
Wasn't an issue for me, but a 2-piece does give you the ability to split sizes if necessary. For reference, I'm 5'9 / 160 pounds, I went with Medium top and bottom. I'd say I went with the normal size I wear, I believe it's sizing is designed to fit over your normal gear. In the photo above, I'm wearing a leather jacket under the top. The combo works really well, I struggled with wether to get the 1-piece suit or not, but no regrets going with the 2-piece at all - I'd go 2-piece again if I were ordering today.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:25 AM   #8
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

I had a one piece suit eons ago. It was about as waterproof as it gets, but man, what a pain in the ass to get in and out of. I wore it over my 'Stich during El Nino winters in Norcal.

Ended up getting a Hein Gericke two piece to replace it. Far better solution IMO.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:10 AM   #9
Chipb21
Neomaxie Zoomdwebie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
Wasn't an issue for me, but a 2-piece does give you the ability to split sizes if necessary. For reference, I'm 5'9 / 160 pounds, I went with Medium top and bottom. I'd say I went with the normal size I wear, I believe it's sizing is designed to fit over your normal gear. In the photo above, I'm wearing a leather jacket under the top. The combo works really well, I struggled with wether to get the 1-piece suit or not, but no regrets going with the 2-piece at all - I'd go 2-piece again if I were ordering today.
Thanks for the insight to both you and Desmo, especially since we are very similar in size....with further thought...it has been a few years since I have used my one piece hunting suit for the exact reason Desmo mentioned.
Chipb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:53 AM   #10
JKENDALL

Thanks for the puddle info. I will spray the crouch / butt area with some waterproofing stuff.
JKENDALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM   #11
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKENDALL View Post
Thanks for the puddle info. I will spray the crouch / butt area with some waterproofing stuff.
I don't think waterproofness of the 'Toggs material was the issue. From what I remember, the top didn't seal well enough around my neck and water entered there, and worked it's way down. I believe the problem was that Frogg Toggs included that built-in hood (these were originally developed for fishermen - that's how I came upon them many years ago). That hood adds a lot of bulk and prevents a good, tight seal around the neck.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear