click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 01-19-2019, 01:42 AM   #21
Torchsport
Deer Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by longeze View Post
Damn - that's brutal. You're making my skin crawl ). We were supposed to get 3-5" tonight and more tomorrow. Despite "snowing" for the last 6hrs, I don't see more than 1.5" out on the deck Tomorrows forecast was revised down to < 1" as well, so it's looking like a bit of a bust. I guess that's what trailers are for huh?

Hang in there, I'm hoping you'll get the last laugh when the blizzard comes & ur out there having a romp, while ur buds wish they had theirs. ;)

That caught my eye as well 1st time I saw one. It's unusual to see the control arm pickup points so close together isn't it? I'm guessing camber change over bumps & dips isn't desirable?

Torch - do you have any pix from the side? Is your Apex considered a "rider forward" sled? ... I just saw that you have 2... Do you mostly trail ride or a mix or ??? Do you think there's a sweet spot for track length?

This being a Yamaha site, I think it's worth mentioning that I searched quite a few forums to learn about which sleds might best suit us, & the thing that stood out was, that whenever Yamaha sleds were mentioned, reliability, excellent fit/finish and slightly heavy but fast usually followed. They make damn fine pianos as well... but geeez are they heavy!!!
The Apex is not considered rider forward. Sleds like the Nytro and the newer 200+ hp turbocharged Sidewinder is. I've ridden them and they are a nice position. But I still like the traditional rider position. And those engines....
As far as weight...yeah the 4 strokes are a bit heavier. But I'm not carrying it around on my back.
The 170 hp more than makes up for it. Those engines will easily go 100,000 miles with normal maintenance. 2 strokes are lucky to make it to 8,000 miles before a rebuild is in order.
Don't get me wrong. I've had some wicked fast Polaris 700cc and 800cc 2 strokes and have put many miles on them. But I'm done with stressing about making sure I have plenty of oil stashed somewhere and was tired of my clothes being stinky. I love to know I can leave my garage and ride to Canade reliably and without worry.
I've ridden snowmobiles multiple 300 mile days. With the 4 stroke I can take a nice long round trip if conditions everywhere allow it.
2008 Yamaha WR250X
2014 Yamaha Zuma 125
2020 Kawasaki KLX110L
Torchsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:50 AM   #22
Torchsport
Deer Whisperer

Here's a pic of my '15 Apex near a friends rider forward Yamaha Nytro (black) and Yamaha Sidewinder (Orange).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180202_110301-800x450.jpg (142.1 KB, 85 views)
2008 Yamaha WR250X
2014 Yamaha Zuma 125
2020 Kawasaki KLX110L
Old 01-19-2019, 01:56 AM   #23
Torchsport
Deer Whisperer

Few more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180202_110312-800x450.jpg (146.5 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg 20180203_095051-800x450.jpg (124.3 KB, 83 views)
2008 Yamaha WR250X
2014 Yamaha Zuma 125
2020 Kawasaki KLX110L
Old 01-19-2019, 10:02 AM   #24
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Further proof that adding a liter class sport bike inspired engine into the mix makes pretty much everything better, be it on snow, or on water!

Nice pics Torch. That looks super fun. Fearsome powerful machines that can go from putting around to holy sh%t in no time - that is how it should be when it comes to motorized toys

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:57 AM   #25
Satan666
Call 9-1-1

Location: Black Hills, SD ~ Lake Forest, IL ~ (Storage Only) Morro Bay, CA
A day's tow away . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by longeze View Post
... where are your favorite places to ride.
https://www.blackhillsbadlands.com/o...n/snowmobiling

https://gfp.sd.gov/userdocs/docs/BlackHillsMap.pdf
Old 01-19-2019, 06:20 PM   #26
longeze

We luck'd out and got at least half a foot of snow late last night and this a.m. (TY lake effect), so we finally got a chance to play with our toys. Much fun (and a great workout) was had by all!

We learned that both sleds refused to turn without snow - Duh. We found ourselves forced to leave the relative safety of the snowy ditch, to venture onto the fresh plowed hwy, so we could turn a corner to get to a nearby wooded trail. Leaning forward & to the side didn't seem to help much. My GF was scared to death with the traffic bearing down on us at 55. Calamity averted when we slid into a patch of snow & found enough traction to save our butts. Is this really the nature of the beasts?

We also learned that it's a long way "up" from sitting to standing on the cat zl800. I realize running around our little wannabe snowcross track isn't its mission in life, but it didn't seem like such a big deal when checking it out at the dealers. After popping up and down like a piece of toast in an appliance gone mad, my legs started to feel it pretty quickly, and it became a very big deal. Clearly not the right tool for the job it has to be said. Really comfy ride though. Reminded me of my ol '59 caddy I had when I was a kid. The snopro700 on the other hand, was a total blast and clearly in its element. Much like when riding my FZ1, I felt a bit apologetic towards the machine, not being better able or willing to ride it anywhere near its true potential. Always seems like a bit of a waste lol. Reminds me of some of the kids in bands I used to play with. The guys with the best equipment were usually the ones who couldn't play worth a damn ;)

Standing up while catching "air" over even a small ramp was freaky. Definitely felt like I could be wearing a new cast by the end of the day if things didn't go my way.. Loved it though!!!

Thanks for the pix Brad, much appreciated! Really nice toys - as always man. There's an '05 Cat turbo 660 we looked at that was/is really tempting for all the reasons you mentioned. I liked it well enough to make an offer despite the 8500 miles, but the guy held firm and it's still for sale now in the 5th month of the listing. After being around 2 strokes most of my llife and racing them for the better part of a decade, I'm over it. I wish I could've found some 4 cycle sleds with good power to weight within my budget, but I'll enjoy what I've got until the right one comes along, and covet yours in my heart until then )
longeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:28 PM   #27
Torchsport
Deer Whisperer

Yeah... The carbide runners on the bottom of the skis really wont "steer" at all on asphalt. Road crossings can always we tricky if it's not a straight venture.

Glad you had a fun day.
2008 Yamaha WR250X
2014 Yamaha Zuma 125
2020 Kawasaki KLX110L
Old 01-22-2019, 07:55 AM   #28
reubswinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchsport View Post
I am hauling both sleds to the UP- Munising MI in 2 weeks.
I am heading to the Paradise area Feb 1-3. If the snow isn't great there we are going to go to Munising as well. Pumped to get some real riding in.
reubswinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:07 AM   #29
grommet
kinetic mentality

I can't believe no one's posted this yet:

https://youtu.be/JjZNmhJ8Xu4

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:15 AM   #30
Torchsport
Deer Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubswinks View Post
I am heading to the Paradise area Feb 1-3. If the snow isn't great there we are going to go to Munising as well. Pumped to get some real riding in.
Munising is full of snow. The crew that I started riding with last year just got back. I wasn't able to make it this last weekend. But I'll be joining them next week.

Here is their photos and my buddy Tom's video.

https://totallyamaha.com/Totallyamah...ni_fun2019.htm

https://youtu.be/mXj3Tg9SWf0
2008 Yamaha WR250X
2014 Yamaha Zuma 125
2020 Kawasaki KLX110L
Old 01-22-2019, 03:45 PM   #31
longeze

Looks like a great place to play! 900 miles would be a bit of a stretch for us ATM, but we enjoyed checking out your links, so time well spent ;)

While not exactly up to snuff with the Badlands or Munising MI.(incredible scenery in that link & vid), this is happening in our area this Sat (gets interesting at 3:15) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8gZ2VjPpqk

Here's the 2019 schedule if anyone is interested in checking it out: http://grovesnohawks.com/winterfest-2019/
Old 01-22-2019, 04:30 PM   #32
BruinFZ1guy
Chronically obsessive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
That one dude about got smoooshed trying to wrassel that snow machine!
BruinFZ1guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:10 PM   #33
jointbeaker

Thanks to this thread, I've spent the last hour watching snowmobile avalanche videos on youtube. Good grief this is some crazy stuff.
jointbeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:33 PM   #34
longeze

There's worse ways to kill a few brain cells. Gotta love that the guy finally wrestled his sled to the ground in the end though.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:02 PM   #35
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post

https://youtu.be/JjZNmhJ8Xu4

Today I learned that snowmobiles are REALLY good at rolling down mountains hahahaha
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion