click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 2 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering

Old 11-11-2019, 11:45 AM   #21
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

I mounted a Road 5 right after they came out and rode the next day in 40s during a monsoon. I decided after about 50 miles that it was indeed a high performer in the grip category. In those conditions I was riding confidently through curves, gassing it decently out of corners, and the lack of sudden slips was inspiring. Also did a high speed straight up through some standing water as well, no issues.

As summer came on I finished that tire during our June rally at the Gap, and most of that tire's life was 2-up. Burned the sides right off with at least a couple thousand left in the center. Maybe around 3500 total on the tire, but those were all fun miles.

A bit on the pricey side, but great traction, all the time. Coupled with the ease of mounting, it's a no-brainer for me.

You're right though, it all comes down to individual perception, which can be influenced by variety of factors. Machine setup, total as-ridden weight, balance, TIRE PRESSURE, riding style, and of course expectations....etc. As they say, YMMV.

In the end, personally what I'm really after is a tire that gives the most grip, especially when leaned over, in the various conditions I tend to ride ("riding season" does not compute for me). Cost is far from the primary goal. Safety is. I'm not worth much, but when I've got my woman right behind me, $20-50 difference simply does not matter.

If there's a better all-weather, all temperature gripper than the Road 5, I'd like to try it.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:51 AM   #22
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyfz1 View Post
.... Coupled with the ease of mounting, it's a no-brainer for me. ...
Unfortunately, I didn't have the opportunity to mount mine, it was done at a dealership while on a trip. Good to hear it was not a bear to mount. The T30's can be a bear, at least the rear.
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:32 PM   #23
iluvmyfz1

Years ago I got the complete HF tire changing setup. With these there's just no need really. I'll usually demount, then bring it inside on some cardboard. Three good irons, three rim protectors, Lemon Pledge, plastic wedge bead breaker, core removal tool, and an air tank. No straps, zip ties, or explosives needed. Gotta hold your mouth right tho!
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
Old 11-11-2019, 04:04 PM   #24
bmidd
Yet Another Gen1

Quote:
Years ago I got the complete HF tire changing setup. With these there's just no need really. I'll usually demount, then bring it inside on some cardboard. Three good irons, three rim protectors, Lemon Pledge, plastic wedge bead breaker, core removal tool, and an air tank. No straps, zip ties, or explosives needed. Gotta hold your mouth right tho!
I'm going to break down and buy another set of tire irons this winter, since I bent the other two fussing with that Bridgestone. #learningcurve
bmidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:37 AM   #25
iluvmyfz1

I use 2 of these, 15" single: https://www.cyclegear.com/accessorie...ton-tire-irons

...and one of the shorter, stubby ones. They have perfect angles for getting under the tire.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:33 PM   #26
arkie6

Quote:
I use 2 of these, 15" single: https://www.cyclegear.com/accessorie...ton-tire-irons

...and one of the shorter, stubby ones. They have perfect angles for getting under the tire.
Same here. If you bend one of those you are either a strong mofo or using a cheater pipe.
arkie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:48 PM   #27
oldjeep

I use these. They work for car/trailer tires and bike tires are no effort at all. Typically if you have to pry very hard on any tire it means that it isn't all the way in the drop.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M3SJ699/
http://www.oldjeep.com
oldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:59 PM   #28
iluvmyfz1

Good point Chuck, and easily overlooked when trying to get a stubborn and slippery tire on a rim. While you're working that last bit of bead over the edge, both beads on the other side of the circle should be somewhat pinched together and down in the valley of the rim. Some folks use the zip ties to help with this.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:28 AM   #29
Iceman63

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaMan444 View Post
Saw this review about the T31 today. The owner had previous exp with those Conti Tires you speak of. Apparently the T31has much better feed back and grip than the T30

“A night and day difference from the T30.
Like most riders, I like to try different tires.
From the classic pairing of the bias ply Metzeler ME33 Laser/ME55 Metronic followed by radials from Avon, Bridgestone Continental, Dunlop, Michelin, and Pirelli, each new set provided a new experience.
While many remained fond of the Bridgestone T30, I found they lacked feel and wore quickly--and remained unimpressed.
I never tried the T30 Evo, but in preparations for my annual journey from Denver to SoCal, then up the coast and back home, made the decision to give the T31 a go. (I figured worst case they would last the 4000 mile journey and I would replace them with something "better" upon my return.)
Surprised I was by the difference between the T30 and the T31.
Where the T30 felt kinda lifeless and detached from the road, the T31 had a direct connection and excellent feel (tactile, planted, yet light).
It was this direct connection and feel that provided both better handling and higher speed stability than previous tires I have used, including the Angel GT and PR4's.
The T31's dug into corners unlike the others and without any twitchiness.
The T31 puts the sport in sport touring, and after 4000 miles--when it was past time to replace the T30's--the T31's have many miles remaining.
The tires warmed up quickly in the cooler temps (lower 50's) and never felt greasy in the hot (100+).
The only rain was brief, light, and overnight, so I am unable to comment on how they perform in the wet.
Comparing the T31 to the Continental Road Attack 3 proved to me they are equal but different (in dry conditions) with the T31 emphasizing sport and the CRA3 leaning a bit more toward the touring side, with amazingly long mileage.
Both are excellent sport touring tires and in my experience the T31 and CRA3 tires outperform both the Angel GT and PR4.
I would re-purchase the T31 and CRA3 without hesitation.
A note on Bridgestone's impressive quality control (or luck of the draw) is the T31 required a single 5-gram weight to balance each wheel. “
I agree with his opinion on the T30. They came stock on my 18' Versys 1k, and do seem to lack front end feel. Of course, I haven't yet tried anything else on this bike as I've only had if for a year. But other owners of this bike say the same thing about the T30. I'm thinking about trying the T31 next, or the Conti RA 2 since they are a little cheaper than the RA 3.
These days I have to be price conscious. I've run many different tires on my old 02' FZ1 over the years. Avons, Contis, Mich's, Brigs', even Shinko 011's which worked fine for me. I liked the old Coti RA's too. I haven't run Contis in years. Running 016's on the FZ1 right now as they were on sale at the time.
May go back to Contis for that one as well....depends on pricing.
Iceman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:33 PM   #30
iluvmyfz1

Which Avon did you run? How did it work out for you?
Old 11-17-2019, 11:56 AM   #31
Iceman63

Quote:
Which Avon did you run? How did it work out for you?
Are you asking me?
If so; these were the older AV series ...I mean I last ran Avons back in the mid 2000's....AV45's or 46's, shoot I can't remember. I'd have to look in my maint records. I did like them though. I ran a softer front one time, so a sport front and s/t rear. I was riding the FZ1 quite a bit harder then too. I did like them. Probably went through a couple of sets of Avons. But I liked trying different tires.
Iceman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 04:48 PM   #32
sloowpoke

A tidbit of additional information on my RA3. I normally run 36 psi rear for riding comfort. Today I went over to a road I haven't been on for the last decade due to it being in really bad condition. They had repaved it this summer. It's got flat turns instead of banked curves, which is pretty unusual for this area. The rear was feeling loose in the turns and I found myself slowing down, which I normally don't do. Later, after bringing the rear up to 40 psi, I went back and tried again. The second time through, the rear felt planted solidly all the way without me slowing down from the speed limit.

This is the first tire I've ridden on, that handled differently at 36 & 40 psi.
sloowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:54 PM   #33
oldjeep

Fwiw, my rear ra3 on the fz is at 42. I was not a fan of the recommended 1up psi. Can't comment on the cold weather handling of the ra3 but the ta3 on my other bike are not very sticky when the temps drop below 40. Accidentally lit up the rear this morning at 32f. Heavy vstrom 1000 with full bags.
http://www.oldjeep.com
oldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:40 PM   #34
_Will_

from motorrad (via google translate) about the sport attack 3 which seems pretty closely related to the RA3:
https://www.motorrad-magazin.at/moto...++im+Vergleich

"While the other four tires worked well in our test with a tarmac temperature of 32 ° C practically from the start, the Conti needs a short warm-up phase, which is completed after one or two laps. From then he puts all competitors in the shade. Although the grip on the rear tire is already at a very high level, there is a lot more on the front. This creates an exceptionally high level of confidence in hard steering and thus exactly what you value in a sporty driving style. This is supported by the lightest Einlenkverhalten our comparison, but there is still no tendency to restlessness or even commuting. That makes him a clear handling favorite. However, the Conti shows typical properties of a soft rubber compound, which suggests the assumption
"

It seems a trend that the front is great from the get go on the SA3 and RA3 but the rear needs a warm up for both but at different temps. My RA3 rear was fine in the 50's F and up from the get go, their tested 32C for the SA3 means it needs warm up at 89 F.

I've never had a front tire I trusted so easily as this one and a rear I trusted so little (in the cold).

I'm still waiting to hear back from RMATVMC about how they want to deal with the rear being a disappointment compared to past experiences with other brands. By myself I can play around some to test it out and I'll live with it if they say no deal with some miles on it, with my wife on the back I'm less apt to play that game.
_Will_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 02:26 PM   #35
_Will_

Follow up, RMATVMC said no deal and that Continental considers the problems I'm having with the rear to be "rider preference" and that since it's been ridden on RMATVMC won't take it back (not sure how you know a tire has a problem if it hasn't been ridden on). Apparently Continental considers a tire you don't trust to be a preference someone would have. Others say this tire is amazing, I don't think I'm fast or exceptionally hard on tires but I'm not having the same experience.

I took the bike up to Suches today in the rain, around town it was fine but sure enough when I got outside the city it slipped out on a corner I've taken faster and harder on other tires and had no issue. I half wonder if this one is just a dud and doesn't have enough silica in the mix. Calling the retailer and Continental on Monday and seeing if I can move this up the chain, being out 200 bucks for a rear I don't trust is a hard pill to swallow.
Old 11-23-2019, 05:58 PM   #36
iluvmyfz1

Will, you know that many reports are from folks that ride once or twice a year, fair weather only riders, and sometimes maybe by someone that spent $200 and either doesn't know the difference or doesn't want to admit they made a mistake. Whatever the case, you know how you ride and if it isn't up to the task of a modern tire, maybe write a letter to Conti and get a factory rep to consider the situation.

(Edit: Some folks live where the weather is just about perfect for riding all the time, so their opinions simply don't count.....)
Old 11-27-2019, 12:39 PM   #37
_Will_

Finally got them to stick. If you’re used to running Michelin or other tires that prefer a higher PSI due to a soft carcass these work best on the lower side. I usually run my Michelin at about 45psi hot (I’m 270lbs, throw the wife on the back and we’re putting that air to work). I started these at 34f/39r cold and still had some movement. Checked and it was heated up to 44psi. Dropped it down to 40 and it seems to be holding. Rear wallows a bit in super slow corners and feels like it’s squatting a bit coming hard out of corners but it’s sticking for now.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 2 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering