register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

View Poll Results: What would YOU do?
Get the repair done over the winter. I like my car pristine! 23 71.88%
Check the oil and top off whenever. Get it fixed when I'm tired of dripping oil in the parking lot! 3 9.38%
Use some type of "Stop Leak/Seal Restorer" and see if it works! 2 6.25%
Screw it, oil is cheap and the car has 140K on it! 4 12.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2017, 01:44 PM   #21
ballmead
I like em Naked

It's pretty obvious isn't it? If you are going to keep the car then get it fixed.
2010 FZ1N - Mivv Speed Edge with Arrow headers - Ivan's ECU flash - PCV - Modded Airbox with DNA air filter - 49T rear sprocket - 2008 R1 Forks and brakes - Penske 8983 rear shock - LighTech rear sets
ballmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:46 PM   #22
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

1. Fix it and keep it.

2. Sell it for a solid truck. For a single bike, a hitch hauler is a super easy way to haul it.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:07 PM   #23
Woodys2718
Lets light this candle!

If you plan on keeping and have the $ for repair... get it fixed.
Throttle Rocker
Throttle Meister
TechSpec
Proton Flush Mounts
Bi Xenon HIDs
Speedo Healer
Power Bronze Lower Cowl
Competition Werks Undertail
Motodynamic Integrated Tail Light
OES Frame Sliders
Bestem Carbon Fiber Heel Guards
GB Racing Case Guards
Pro Bolt Anodized Bolt Kit
Cox Racing Radiator Guard
Arrow Header
Two Bros Black Series Carbon Slip On
Two Bros Juice Box Pro
BMC Air Filter
AIS Plugged
Woodys2718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:53 PM   #24
WDD

IF you're going to have them rip into it and fix the gasket, also ask them about the timing chain tensioner and the water pump.

Often the water pump is buried deep where the timing chain/belt is located, and a lot of the cost of replacing the water pump is just getting to it. And they do fail after 100 - 150k miles. IF it will be accessible when they get to the cover, and IF it has never been changed, now is a good time to do it.

Same questions for the timing chain tensioner.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:51 PM   #25
dschult2

That's too much oil leaking for me to be comfortable with. If it were me and I planned on keeping it I would fix it. But again that's just me.
dschult2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:59 PM   #26
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Let's clarify that I'm not leaving a 1/2 qt of oil in my parking lot. Relatively small oil drop on the ground.

I don't drive it all that often.

Yes, if I'm keeping it, I might as well fix it. Already figured that one. Then again, maybe I just add oil and list it for sale and see if I get any bites. A truck would be nice, paying way too much money for a used truck with way too many miles to justify the price IS NOT something I want to do. The valuation of trucks is worse than the valuation of bikes in our "Best of Craigslist" thread IMHO. And I don't want a loan. And mandatory full coverage insurance to go with it. So in reality, unlikely to get a truck now.

I'm just surprised y'all wouldn't go through a cheap gallon or two and wait to get it fixed, that'll be like February or March. Like there's no harm in waiting some. 500$ isn't something for me to just sneeze at. Yes, my mechanic is smart enough to have already suggested preventive replacement.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:34 PM   #27
Skiman
Renaissance Man

Try using a high mileage motor oil and see if it helps.

I agree with most others advise though. Fix it if you're going to keep it.
Skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:08 PM   #28
Sam9

Screw it, no big deal. Put a little oil in it once in a while, who cares?
Sam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:39 AM   #29
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaMan444 View Post
A truck would be nice, paying way too much money for a used truck with way too many miles to justify the price IS NOT something I want to do. The valuation of trucks is worse than the valuation of bikes in our "Best of Craigslist" thread IMHO. And I don't want a loan. And mandatory full coverage insurance to go with it. So in reality, unlikely to get a truck now.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. When I bought my last truck, a 96 f250 SCSB with a 7.3 powerstroke diesel, I only paid $900 for it. It needed quite a bit of work though. Interior wasn't all that great, needed a transmission, and I've since replaced the alternator, water pump, and did a full 4" exhaust and 4" intake with a tuner. I figure I have about $3500 into it now. After I rebuilt the trans with stage 3 clutches, a shift kit, a big torque converter, and a mishimoto cooler, and did some better interior from various junkyards.

Last month I was up to 525k miles, and although it burns a little oil (.5qt every oil change) it's rock solid, now that I've rebuilt the front suspension with new 10 ply tires, I wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere. Gets 17-18mpg city driving, and low 20s at 70mph.

Although, when I bought it I was doing a lot more towing than I do now, like that 28' behemoth enclosed trailer in the background, nowadays I just drive my car or the bike most of the time.

Deals are out there, ready to be had, just get your finances in order with cash in hand and start looking. Because when you find one that isn't too good to be true, and it's on Craigslist, you'll likely be racing 3 other people to go buy it.

Last edited by MichaelFZ1; 10-25-2017 at 01:54 AM.
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:49 AM   #30
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFZ1 View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. When I bought my last truck, a 96 f250 SCSB with a 7.3 powerstroke diesel, I only paid $900 for it. It needed quite a bit of work though. Interior wasn't all that great, needed a transmission, and I've since replaced the alternator, water pump, and did a full 4" exhaust and 4" intake with a tuner. I figure I have about $3500 into it now. After I rebuilt the trans with stage 3 clutches, a shift kit, a big torque converter, and a mishimoto cooler, and did some better interior from various junkyards.

Last month I was up to 525k miles, and although it burns a little oil (.5qt every oil change) it's rock solid, now that I've rebuilt the front suspension with new 10 ply tires, I wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere. Gets 17-18mpg city driving, and low 20s at 70mph.

Although, when I bought it I was doing a lot more towing than I do now, like that 28' behemoth enclosed trailer in the background, nowadays I just drive my car or the bike most of the time.

Deals are out there, ready to be had, just get your finances in order with cash in hand and start looking. Because when you find one that isn't too good to be true, and it's on Craigslist, you'll likely be racing 3 other people to go buy it.
Nice truck! These trucks are rock solid. i have a '90 F150 which I basically got for free (traded a desktop pc). Did a few things, including rebuilding the A/C, and it is a perfect light duty vehicle. With the hitch hauler, I can one-person load the bike and easily go anywhere. Got it painted last summer so now it is all one color and shiny again. Only 162k and it runs like a top.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:29 AM   #31
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyfz1 View Post
Nice truck! These trucks are rock solid. i have a '90 F150 which I basically got for free (traded a desktop pc). Did a few things, including rebuilding the A/C, and it is a perfect light duty vehicle. With the hitch hauler, I can one-person load the bike and easily go anywhere. Got it painted last summer so now it is all one color and shiny again. Only 162k and it runs like a top.
Thanks! These 90s powerstroke diesels are virtually unkillable as long as you keep coolant and oil in it.

https://youtu.be/HrdcKBBVTJM

One video I love to provide on the subject, a 800k mile 7.3. Was a test mule for bio-fuels, propane, and nitrous systems, with literally dozens over 600whp dyno runs, that puts it respectably into the 4 digit torque numbers. ON A STOCK ENGINE, simply astounding.

The only problem with dozens of over 600whp dyno runs? The connecting rods are known quite well to only last to 500whp
So the connecting rod failure is not surprising to me. But LOOK at those bearing surfaces, for a 800k mile engine, it's amazing.

Miles don't matter nearly as much as maintenance does.
If you take care of it, it'll take care of you

Hijack over. Lol
Old 10-25-2017, 09:02 AM   #32
WDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaMan444 View Post
Let's clarify that I'm not leaving a 1/2 qt of oil in my parking lot. Relatively small oil drop on the ground.

I don't drive it all that often.
If every 2 weeks you add oil, you don't drive it much, it isn't leaking from that gasket to the ground, then where is the oil going?

Sounds like might be another problem?
Old 10-25-2017, 04:07 PM   #33
arkie6

Yeah, I'm thinking there is more going on here than just a timing cover leak.

Have you checked your PCV system to make sure it is functioning properly? PCV valve clogged? If so, clean with carb cleaner or replace. Hoses clogged or collapsed? The PCV system is designed to maintain a negative pressure in the crankcase to reduce the likelihood of oil leaks at gaskets and seals.

If you don't find anything wrong with the PCV system, I would try running a different motor oil such as Mobil Super High Mileage 10W-30. This "high mileage" oil contains seal conditioners to help prevent leaks and control oil consumption. And the cost is comparable to what you are using now at around $15 per 5 quart jug.

You might also have carbon buildup in your piston rings causing them to stick which can lead to increased oil consumption. Consider doing a Seafoam piston ring soak. Google [seafoam piston rings] for more info. If you do this, I would definitely change the oil immediately afterward.
arkie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:10 PM   #34
Duken4evr
Map Maven

This stuff worked great for a main seal leak in my kid's '07 Mazda6. Doesn't sound like that is your problem though, it is pretty obvious because of the dinner plate size puddle of oil under the car. It is thin solvent like stuff, causes a hardened seal to soften and swell up a bit. Was shocked and pleased that it worked. My parts guy said not to waste time with the "Bars Leaks" stuff. Blue Devil is the bizness. Figured I would pass along in case yours is leaking out the main.

https://www.amazon.com/BlueDevil-Rea...seal+stop+leak

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:31 PM   #35
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDD View Post
If every 2 weeks you add oil, you don't drive it much, it isn't leaking from that gasket to the ground, then where is the oil going?

Sounds like might be another problem?
I drive it 4 or 5 times a week. But it's mostly to the gym or store that's not more than 5 miles away. I guess I drive it more than I used to but have only done 4000 miles in 6 months

You have to figure 1/3 is on the ground wherever my destination is, 1/3 is on the roadway when gravity trickles it down the backside of the engine and then the airstream under the car picks it up. and then whatever residual is on the backside, drips down when it parks. Seriously, it's not a huge spot on the ground. If it was, this wouldn't even be a poll. If I was losing mass amounts of oil to jeopardize mechanical integrity, I wouldn't be asking.

I will go through a gallon of High Mileage Oil and see if that helps at all arkie. I will check the PCV but I doubt it. It did NOT burn oil the first 15K. I checked religiously. Only after I noticed the oil loss which was the same time as the oil spots.

This was the oil spot from me driving 5 miles to the store and letting it sit for 20 min while I shopped. Bad? Yes. As bad as y'all think it is? No.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1112.jpg (112.7 KB, 52 views)
Old 10-25-2017, 05:43 PM   #36
hotboot
pony boy carry me home

That is a first gen DIT 7.3 diesel and a nice truck Michael, we had two and loved them. Both started main seal leaks, the cost of replacement was insane so we traded them. Dropping oil on a custom driveway is forbidden, Jake has to park on the street.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:01 PM   #37
didier9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
Oil stains.. parking lots.. almost dropped my pretty FJR the other day when my boot slipped as I pulled her off the side stand..
That would be my concern too. I had an Acura Vigor (2.5L 5 cylinder) that I really loved that had a leak at the main seal. It was not nearly as bad as what you describe but I got rid of the car 7 years ago and my driveway has not recovered in spite of regular pressure washing.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:04 PM   #38
WileECoyote
Rebel Scum

Location: Bridgeville PA, its not Ten Cee but okay for now......
I was waiting on Organdonor.........

Fook it, I'll say it.............

Molotav cocktail, call insurance.

WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:45 AM   #39
fermic37

Due to the poll results, i have more faith in humanity.

I will also have more faith in Jake if he brings home a pickmeuptrok
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:53 AM   #40
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotboot View Post
That is a first gen DIT 7.3 diesel and a nice truck Michael, we had two and loved them. Both started main seal leaks, the cost of replacement was insane so we traded them.
These first gen powerstrokes are great, parts are easy to come by since there wasn't many changes from 94.5-2003. Luckily I've not had any rear main leaks, but I have replaced the odd gasket here and there. I've contemplated going out and buying a newer truck from time to time, but this one is already so well sorted out, and there's no way I can replace it for what I've got invested in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotboot View Post
Dropping oil on a custom driveway is forbidden, Jake has to park on the street.

I do feel like we wouldn't even be having this conversation about an acceptable amount of oil leak if we were talking about jakes bike instead of the car.
Vehicles break, fix vehicle, then continue driving vehicle. You are depending on it to get you home after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFZ1 View Post
Miles don't matter nearly as much as maintenance does.
If you take care of it, it'll take care of you

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion