View Poll Results: Daily riders only , ATGATT
All the gear all the time 33 82.50%
I live for T-shirt weather 7 17.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2018, 05:32 PM   #101
twistedmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunderfighter View Post
I'm curious about the thought process and rationale, and enjoy gaining greater perspective. Sorry if that irks you.

Why would you think I'm mad? I asked you a question just like you asked me.

My thought process is that As a daily rider sometimes I get caught in situations where I either I am running late and I have to go now or it's so hot that I do not want to get somewhere and be absolutely soaking in sweat! Lot's of people have adopted this moto that I would rather sweat than bleed. Well that's fine for some people but I would be willing to bet they are not daily riders. Even if they are, it's their choice. I do not feel the need to argue with them or change their minds. Ultimately if I am wrong I will pay for it with my skin and blood and I will never complain about it. My choice, my consequences. If you want to go further into my psychology I am a prison guard who faces murders and rapists daily. Well at least everyday that I work. In all honesty I feel that is more dangerous than riding without gear every single day. As I stated I know that it's safer to ride ATGATT and I do a lot of the time. I simply do not understand why some people who loose their minds when someone else does not think like them. Other people go on these long rants about safety and I simply do not understand. You seemed a little more rational so I asked you why it's so important to you. I don't know, it all seems pretty simple to me.

I've ridden in shorts, jeans, riding, jeans, textiles, and leathers. Leathers do the best at insulating me from the outside heat, though obviously don't breathe. Shorts obviously breathe the most, but offer zero ambient protection. My riding jeans flow more air than my regular jeans, and also block more engine heat.
ok.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:33 PM   #102
twistedmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne-O View Post
For them, it is a state of mind, rather than actual conduct. ☆☆☆☆☆☆ Like when I might say "I never spit on the sidewalk" though I may try to always spit in the street and that is my mindset I may in fact expectorate on said paved pedestrian pathway. Like I always recycle etc.
this is true. It's different when you plan a ride for fun vs using your bike as your everyday source of transportation
Old 09-10-2018, 01:33 PM   #103
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedmetal View Post
ok.
Very insightful!
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:58 PM   #104
fermic37

Quote:
this is true. It's different when you plan a ride for fun vs using your bike as your everyday source of transportation
No, it’s really not..
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:24 AM   #105
twistedmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunderfighter View Post
Very insightful!

Well I can see that I did not insert my answer correctly. I have seen other people split quotes and answer in sections. I guess I am not smart enough to do that so the best thing I can do is say go back up to post #101 and read the quoted text. Actually read it. You know the one you quoted and did not notice that your post gained about 250 words.

I said OK because you ended by listing multiple riding gear/clothing that you have used. I have used many of these so I simply said OK. I know I fecked up by messing up the quotes but I am honestly surprised that you didn't notice your quote grew 5 X larger than it was when you wrote it. Especially when you quoted it in your response.

Really more interested in how you reason that you asking a question is for enlightenment but if someone asks you a question then they are being a dick.

Last edited by twistedmetal; 09-11-2018 at 03:01 AM.
twistedmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:51 AM   #106
twistedmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermic37 View Post
No, it’s really not..
ok lets check our reasons.

ATGATT is a choice plain and simple. I really do not understand how or why people who do not know each other and will probably never know each other get so upset and try to force their opinions on others. That is just weird to me.
So as I said 3 times I use full gear often but there are sometimes that I just don't. You know why? Because I choose not to! It's that simple. Now I have reasons but are they really important to you? I have seen you guys absolutely go after people who try to argue various reasons and each of their arguments are pretty lame so maybe they deserved it but I still don't understand why this is such a major issue.
I am really not surprised that you disagree because you have not walked in our shoes. There is a reason that the op asked for people who ride as their only form of transportation. It is a whole other world and it really reminds me of how my eyes were opened during my first track day. You see things differently when you absolutely have to ride. Mistakes don't happen when you go on a planned ride (like a daily commute) but rather when your gf spends the night and a baby is crying all night! You worked 2 double in a row and you have to go in on virtually no sleep so you hit the snooze too often and all of a sudden you are late. Full ATGATT or get your ass on the bike and ride fast? You have to choose. If you get an emergency call at 2 a.m. because a riot is breaking out and your have to get your ass to the prison asap. Full ATGATT or get your ass to work fast? You have to choose.

It all seems so simple to me. There is not doubt it's more dangerous not to go full gear but sometimes I choose not to do so. So maybe I asked the wrong person. The first guy seemed really calm and approachable but when I asked him a simple question he got offended. You do not seem to have that problem so I am interested in hearing your side of this discussion.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:58 AM   #107
twistedmetal

Old 09-11-2018, 03:04 AM   #108
twistedmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne-O View Post
For them, it is a state of mind, rather than actual conduct. ☆☆☆☆☆☆ Like when I might say "I never spit on the sidewalk" though I may try to always spit in the street and that is my mindset I may in fact expectorate on said paved pedestrian pathway. Like I always recycle etc.
Truth
My favorite is the "I would rather sweat than bleed". I wonder how many of them are everyday drivers and do not own a cage?
Old 09-11-2018, 05:14 PM   #109
sloowpoke

Quote:
...That is just weird to me.
That's because you believe in Liberty and Tolerance, The American Way. The Intolerant want to tell others how to live their lives, you know like in the places our ancesters fled to get away from that kinda crap :-)
sloowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:37 PM   #110
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Quote:
Truth
My favorite is the "I would rather sweat than bleed". I wonder how many of them are everyday drivers and do not own a cage?
Been both. Full time commuting owning a motorcycle only in the 80s.

Full time commuting when I had a cage other times. The cage doubled my commute or worse so unless there was a night's storm worth of standing water (rare here unless it's an El Nino year) or softball night it was all the gear, take the bike, and sweat if necessary.

You're free to do whatever. I'm free to call certain behavior head up arse dumb, especially when they were my behaviors at one time
Old 09-12-2018, 10:08 AM   #111
Newtown Chris

ATGATT - for work i wear overpants by Joe rocket. When I'm riding just to ride, rev it head to toe except for Apline boots. My idea of cooling off in the oppressive heat is riding with my visor open with sunglasses on. Once in a blue moon I will unzip my coat 1/3 the way.

get hot, go faster...
Newtown Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:19 AM   #112
twistedmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfz1 View Post

Full time commuting when I had a cage other times. The cage doubled my commute or worse so unless there was a night's storm worth of standing water (rare here unless it's an El Nino year) or softball night it was all the gear, take the bike, and sweat if necessary.
Figured it out!
Well if you were a daily rider in the 80s then you know what we are talking about. Not sure about when you had a cage because riding in the el nino weather is exactly what makes you view daily riding differently. Having to ride a motorcycle when god is literally thowing buckets of water in your face is not always fun but you have somewhere that you must get to and your bike is the only way to get there. I am thinking that is what the op is talking about. That is one hundred percent what I'm talking about.

Quote:
You're free to do whatever. I'm free to call certain behavior head up arse dumb, especially when they were my behaviors at one time

LOL
I laughed when I read this and I almost didn't answer but I want to clarify. if I said someone does not have the right to call someone a dumb ass then I misspoke. YOu always have the right to speak whatever you want to say. That is your choice in a free society. What I was trying to address is I don't understand why people go ape shit over someone not wearing safety equipment. You have every right to say whatever you wish but I don't undertand it.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:19 AM   #113
twistedmetal

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloowpoke View Post
That's because you believe in Liberty and Tolerance, The American Way. The Intolerant want to tell others how to live their lives, you know like in the places our ancesters fled to get away from that kinda crap :-)

Right on! If we meet up I will buy you a beer on that one.

LOL
Well shit! I guess I don't have it figured out yet. Sorry mr got, I will get this eventually
Old 09-14-2018, 03:42 PM   #114
WileECoyote
Rebel Scum

Why would a daily rider need a pole? Ohhhhh...........poll

WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 03:10 AM   #115
twistedmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
Why would a daily rider need a pole? Ohhhhh...........poll

Its all a matter of priorities.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tow_Hitch_Stripper_Pole_Wide (1).jpg (70.0 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by twistedmetal; 09-15-2018 at 05:32 AM.
twistedmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:34 AM   #116
WileECoyote
Rebel Scum

Nice.........vurry nice.

WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:35 AM   #117
Wayne-O
Traffic!!! Ya gotta love it.

It slipped my mind that most all my bikes have had a extensive 1st aid kit under the seat. More of a nurse / former Boy Scout be prepared sort of way.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear