register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 01-13-2018, 06:59 AM   #21
ralphcor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermic37 View Post
She is going to put around on this next weekend. If she really likes it we can get it for 4K.

Beta 2017 125 RR-S $4800
https://scranton.craigslist.org/mcy/...431110347.html
Clearly the "girls get dirty too" sticker seals the deal for her!

Prev.02 Blue & 01 Black; 42 bikes in 33 years = the older I get, the faster I was!
ralphcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:06 AM   #22
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
She is going to put around on this next weekend. If she really likes it we can get it for 4K.

Beta 2017 125 RR-S $4800
Looks nice! Hopefully you never have battery or starter trouble. No kicker would make it a deal breaker for me.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:10 AM   #23
okaugust
2018!

Here is some advice from a girl. Who also used to teach MSF classes.

Buying a bike for someone else is hard because you really don't understand what it feels like to be her. A lot of men think they know what is best for their gals, but once the gals take the class they realize they want or need something completely different. I know we aren't talking apples to apples with street bikes, where you are hoping to get her a 1200 Sportster and she needs a 250 Ninja, but the idea is the same.

Suggest: get her in a beginner motorcycle class. I know it's for street, but it takes the contention and personality of you teaching her how to ride. She learns a lot, some of which is helpful as a passenger too, and in a pinch could ride in the street. She gets to try out bikes in class, and if they have some dirt/dual models she can ask to ride one for class. As an instructor, I always asked "what do you ride or want to ride" and tried to match up the student with a bike that would interest them.

MSF offers a class for dirt. Is it available in your area? Is there a local instructor who will do something similar to follow that up?

Take her out to a lot of dealers then, even if you don't intend to buy from a dealer, and let her test ride a lot of bikes. A good dealer will let you test ride, especially used models they want to get off the floor. A good dealer will also know to start her on a smaller, lower cc bike, because once she gets used to it, she'll be back for an upgrade. Avoid a dealer that pressure sells new or high cc bikes to her telling her she'll get used to it fast, get tired of a small bike.

I 2nd (or 3rd) the TW200. The fat rear tire is super confidence inspiring. We had them for class bikes and it was the bike I always, always used to demo on, because it practically stood itself up. I always also put the most novice, scared riders on it, because it was easy to start, fun to ride, and they would see me doing the demos on it and know the bike could do it. A lot of people will blame the bike if they can't perform the exercise.

Then wait for her. She wants to go along with you and your friends, but she's not going to be ready to do what you do, so make sure you take her out just the two of you to some lower skill areas to get her confidence up, where she isn't trying to keep up from the start. Or a place the two newer riders can take their own, easier trails, and the experienced riders can go off and meet up later.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:16 AM   #24
fermic37

That really helps. She will be taking a safety course since she will need her mc license. The owner of that 125 started out on a ttr then moved to that then to the 250rr. She is starting to be able to keep up with us. She outroad the ttr within a month, which is why I don’t want to go that route. But she wants to ride more with my gf at a slower pace, So we would be able to split off in two groups when riding.

Also there are lots and lots of state game land roads we can ride on near my house, for her to really learn on at first, but you need a plated bike to ride them. I could buy her a normal bike but to get to the good trails you can ride it, it’s a hour drive.

And sadly kick starters are a thing of the past on newer bikes. Very few are coming with a kick and button.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:52 AM   #25
Duken4evr
Map Maven

If you are looking at that cool little Beta, you could go all the damn way, and being a KTM guy, you already know the answer. You can probably plate a Freeride in PA.

So, do ya love her? Well do ya?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Freeride.jpg (284.9 KB, 42 views)

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:17 PM   #26
Racer Boy
I'm married to a Norwegian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFZ1 View Post
Here you go Jake.
https://www.russiancupid.com/en/wome...nother-country

You’re welcome.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:35 PM   #27
FTL900
White and nerdy

Quote:
Beta 2017 125 RR-S $4800

Electric start, she'll love it as long as she can get her feet on the ground!!
Old 01-13-2018, 03:17 PM   #28
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

If she's riding a Beta, does that mean you're an alpha? Lame
Old 01-13-2018, 10:39 PM   #29
loosenut
Now where did that come from?

My 5'4" wife started on a Yamaha TTR125L and moved in to a GasGas Pampera 280. Heavy 4 strokes are just that, heavy. IMHO, Start small and let the confidence build. BTW, I put lights on the TTR and plated it.

2007 Yamaha FZ1
2005 GasGas EC300 (with plate), 2004 GasGas Pampera 280 (hers)
loosenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:51 AM   #30
Torchsport
Horsepower Whisperer

Quote:
And sadly kick starters are a thing of the past on newer bikes. Very few are coming with a kick and button.
Yup. The new 2018 WR250F has no kicker. Doesn't bother me.

Heck my 1000cc Yamaha 4 stroke snowmobiles dont have a backup starter.
2003 Yamaha YZF-R1 (My favorite generation)

*My reply: If you dont like motorcycles that handle/perform as one should, then yeah...the V-Rod is NOT a real Harley.
Torchsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:57 AM   #31
Duken4evr
Map Maven

My 7 year old Husaberg FE450 has no kick starter. It has a robust well designed E-start (unlike my '13 300 and it's joke of an e-start system) and it has never been a problem. The new KTM two strokes look like they use the same starter design as my 450, I would be fine if they dropped the kicker on those. It is surprising how heavy the kick start and it's associated gears and stuff is.

Non front line competition 4 strokes are inevitably heavy things. Two strokes are light, simple and in this format, make smooth and stout off idle power, perfect for a beginner. You know that Freeride would be perfect, as would a Beta Cross Trainer. I have ridden the Cross Trainer, they are low, light and have smooth pussycat power output down low that does not have KTM 300 top end rip, but also no slow on top.

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:41 AM   #32
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
My 7 year old Husaberg FE450 has no kick starter. It has a robust well designed E-start (unlike my '13 300 and it's joke of an e-start system) and it has never been a problem. The new KTM two strokes look like they use the same starter design as my 450, I would be fine if they dropped the kicker on those. It is surprising how heavy the kick start and it's associated gears and stuff is.
I’ve just always known e start on dirt bikes to be a restarter. Cold start should always be done by kick. Old habits die hard.

Not sure how red, green, yellow, and orange riders do it, but a common mod on the wr is to remove the battery and starter motor because the bike kicks so easy. Even on a cold start, ignition on, hold the kill button and give it about 4 prime kicks, find tdc and you can just barely breathe on the kicker and it fires right up. Though that estart can be a life saver on the near vertical trails around here.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:44 AM   #33
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaMan444 View Post
Where can I buy a girlfriend though? Please help.
Renting would most likely get you more bang for the buck, lol....
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:59 AM   #34
fermic37

I spent all yesterday on a beta 300rr in the snow. I have to say that little starter button is nice. You never use the kicker. Even on cold starts.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion