register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 02-20-2019, 08:42 AM   #881
Damascus

Got it and thanks. Safe travels coming home. We need to do lunch again soon. Time is sliding by. God bless, Murph
Past: 1981 Kawasaki 440 LTD, 2000 Yamaha VStar 1100, 1999 Honda Valkyrie GL1500C, 2002 Honda VFR800 Interceptor, 2002 Yamaha FZ1, 2000 H-D Sportster XL1200, 2006 Suzuki GSXR 1000, 2008 Yamaha FJR1300, 2010 H-D Road King 103, 2011 Triumph Speed Triple 1050.
Present: 2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring
Damascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:02 PM   #882
QuietRider
Officer it won't go that fast

Hi Murph,

Just saw that you had a close encounters incident with Mines Rd. Sorry to hear this but glad to hear that you were able to ride the Golden Wonder home.

Ya, Mines Rd north of the county line can have "invisible gravel" in a lot of places. I have had a couple of scary slides and one get off from gravel I couldn't see.

Hope you are feeling OK now with no new aches and pains.

Roger
Old 02-25-2019, 08:09 PM   #883
Damascus

Hey Dad,

Yeah, I'm on the mend. Thanks for asking. Pretty much bruised and/or sprained every body part except for my noggin, but there ain't much up in there anyway, so. I'm finally getting my right hip to loosen up.

Yesterday, I went for my first spirited ride since and it went just OK. I say just OK because for the first time after a get-off (and I've had a couple) this was the first time I found myself involuntarily flinching when my front or rear tire got loose. I think I scared myself more than I realized. Either that or I'm just becoming a sissy with age.

I guess this is why getting back in the saddle as soon as possible is important because while this really was a minor crash, I could see how one might lose his or her nerve after a close call. The extreme suddenness of it really got to me.

Anyway, that's enough whining from me.

Ride fast and wreckless,
Murph
Past: 1981 Kawasaki 440 LTD, 2000 Yamaha VStar 1100, 1999 Honda Valkyrie GL1500C, 2002 Honda VFR800 Interceptor, 2002 Yamaha FZ1, 2000 H-D Sportster XL1200, 2006 Suzuki GSXR 1000, 2008 Yamaha FJR1300, 2010 H-D Road King 103, 2011 Triumph Speed Triple 1050.
Present: 2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring
Damascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:35 PM   #884
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Took the tiger for a ride, met with Will, David, Barbara, Eric? And others and rode to highlands for some delicious pizza. After sightseeing waterfalls I split off on my own for the ride home and detoured through the chattahoochee-oconee NF, got some FS trail mileage in today and took the tiger through it’s first water crossing.

It was a lil baby water crossing, but it was there and it happened, so it’s getting counted.
MichaelFZ1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:25 PM   #885
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Awesome Michael! Now give us more details of the ride quality and such! Looks fun!
Old 03-02-2019, 08:55 PM   #886
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaMan444 View Post
Awesome Michael! Now give us more details of the ride quality and such! Looks fun!
Very plush on road, but I am using a ton of sag with me and the bike weight. It definitely needs to be resprung. When the pavement ends it manages itself very well, but the rider modes arenít user friendly. I found this out the hard way after a quick stop then trying to climb a grassy hill, the t/c said nope and the bike juddered to a halt. I knew the bike defaults to road mode when the key is cycled, but still havenít got used to that, will take more time to make switching back to the off road map muscle memory.

But itís not as snappy as my dirt bikes, maybe itís the off road power mode making it feel lethargic, but it doesnít seem to have enough oomph to hop the front wheel over stuff. But this does not mean itís not way faster than it has any business being on gravel. Hold on, literally.
MichaelFZ1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:48 PM   #887
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Glad to be home from working in cold OH/PA. Itís in the 70ís the last two days, so had to ride my awesome 11í Street Triple R.

Ever since I got it, itís been really stiff. Bumps in the road almost buck my ass out of the seat. I had softened up the rear shock a few weeks ago.

Went to check my front settings, my compression was 3 from full hard, and rebound 6 from full hard! No wonder I was getting so much road shock!

Recommended Track setting is 7 out from full hard! Geez la weez. Backed both out to standard/sport. SO much better and accepts road imperfections mid corner much better.

Damn this bike loves to be ridden hard, the Brembo front brakes are amazing, the slipper clutch is lovely and provides amazing sloppy downshifting with no wheel hop or issues, and the QS begs to be WOT when you use it, while the Mivv GP cans scream ďFaster FasterĒ. Such a fun bike. Canít wait for some Smokey Mountain twisties.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4C892427-436C-46AD-96AA-8E123A88E63A.jpeg (153.1 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpeg 38932CEA-593E-4393-B6C4-16035C790160.jpeg (57.1 KB, 80 views)
Old 03-20-2019, 10:59 AM   #888
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob

Finally got my new-to-me 2017 FZ09 out for a ride

I'm still getting used to and learning all the ride modes and electronics. TC, ABS, slipper clutch. I'm also trying to figure out what all has been done to it mod wise. Ohlins rear shock. There's no stickers indicating fork work, but I haven't opened them up to verify. ECU is stock, and fueling isn't bad at all. Brakes appear to be stock, and are just fine. I can lift the rear reasonably enough. I've played around with locking front and rear to feel the ABS. Traction control keeps the front wheel down, or within reason. I've now gotten used to lifting the front in 1st, and shifting to 2nd to set it down. It's also got a +4! rear sprocket on there, so that's going back to stock ASAP. ASV levers are quite nice, as is the Yamaha Comfort seat. Tail tidy and integrated rear brake light and flush signals are nice and functional. Looking like a full Yosh exhaust.

The Ohlins rear keeps the back well-planted. The front is very.... communicative, and chatty? Like, too much feedback and chatter, not quite planted. For the time being I'll raise the forks in the triples a smidge, but I'll have the forks serviced at the next track day.

Aside from the front forks, ECU, and brakes, just about everything has been done that I would want to do. My feet are a little bike, so my heels kept butting up against the passenger pegs, looks like I'll be taking those off.

Looking forward to getting the rest of this bike sorted and more familiar with it at the track!
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:00 PM   #889
grommet
kinetic mentality

New S21 front tire and new brake pads.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM   #890
Torchsport
Deer Whisperer

New set of rear blinker lenses for the vee two vibrating machine.
2006 Harley Davidson V-Rod Street Rod (*Not a real Harley)
2003 Yamaha YZF-R1 (My favorite generation)

*My reply: If you dont like motorcycles that handle/perform as one should, then yeah...the V-Rod is NOT a real Harley.
Torchsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:24 AM   #891
WileECoyote
ACME Test Subject

Location: Bridgeville PA, its not Ten Cee but okay for now......
Sat on the Tuono and made vroom vroom noises......................

My long lost love.......1987 FZ700
WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM   #892
bmidd
StatorMan

Sold it.
Because that's what I do every six months...
bmidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:38 PM   #893
rdcusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmidd View Post
Sold it.
Because that's what I do every six months...
Sorry for my poor memory. Which one did you sell??

Best,
Ron

2003 Blue FZ1 - Ivan's MB Jet kit, Akrapovic, GOEC w/remote and GPS, 07 R1 fork conversion w/6 pot brakes, R1 master cylinder, R1 rear wheel w/R6 caliper, Penske shock, Dirt Road seat, AIS removed, HID and LED lights, full Givi luggage, Galfer lines, chain oiler, Rizoma bar, cat-eye turn signals above headlights, grip heaters, factory lower fairings, air box mod w/high flow filter, Cometic thin head gasket, FazerPhil large gas tank mod (in progress).
rdcusmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:19 AM   #894
grommet
kinetic mentality

Central AZ mountain riding. As usual going to AZ for other reasons, I brought my bike. Trailered across the flatland then rode the good stuff. mrs grommet and I met up with our son in mesa last night, loaded some of his stuff on the trailer to bring it home. Today I'll ride down to Sierra Vista for my brother's birthday party and to see my folks. Tomorrow back north and east through the mountains to somewhere in NM. May meet up with Lickety in Globe if it works out. Monday more mountain riding and back to KS. Plan to meet up with wife and son Monday afternoon in the TX panhandle to put tbe bike back on the trailer for the boring stuff.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:45 AM   #895
rdcusmc

Grommet, Awesomeness!!

I working on my handlebar this weekend and trying to fit my steering damper. Gonna take the lower fairings off and reinforce some weak spots. Probably tighten the head nut while I'm at it.

Still waiting on new gas tank to be completed. Won't be much longer and I'll fit that.

I did get out for a short ride yesterday which is better than nothing.

Best,
Ron

2003 Blue FZ1 - Ivan's MB Jet kit, Akrapovic, GOEC w/remote and GPS, 07 R1 fork conversion w/6 pot brakes, R1 master cylinder, R1 rear wheel w/R6 caliper, Penske shock, Dirt Road seat, AIS removed, HID and LED lights, full Givi luggage, Galfer lines, chain oiler, Rizoma bar, cat-eye turn signals above headlights, grip heaters, factory lower fairings, air box mod w/high flow filter, Cometic thin head gasket, FazerPhil large gas tank mod (in progress).
rdcusmc is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion