click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 1 Problems & Issues

Old 05-19-2019, 08:33 AM   #1
energyone

Engine dying after coolant change

After getting my carb leak issues sorted last week, I wanted to change the coolant before doing any substantial rides. Bike has been running great on brief, 15 minute rides around town on some 70 degree days.

I drained the radiator by removing the hose from the lower left side hose (didn't want to deal with the infamous drain bolt), flushed with distilled water, and slowly filled radiator with 50/50 antifreeze/distilled water mix. The coolant reservoir was just about dry, and I added fluid to near the full mark. Put bike on it's side stand, started and ran for a couple of minutes, added a bit more fluid, blipped throttle a few times. Shortly thereafter, the bike started to have a deeper throaty sound...as if it was bogging down somehow. I blipped the throttle a few more times, but it still sounded rather off. Then it died. Lunch break was over so back to work.

5 hours later, tried starting the bike again and it sounded fine. Warmed it for a couple of minutes, then went on a 5 minute ride around the neighborhood to see if it would bog or die. Seemed fine.

Yesterday morning, started it early on a fairly cool day (37 degrees Farenheit), heading out for first substantial ride. With choke on and running, it seemed to be discharging a lot more through the exhaust than I recollect ever seeing--but this passed shortly. Headed out on my ride, and 5 minutes later the engine made the same bogging sound, and died. Tried restarting, tried choking, but it didn't want to fire again. Waited 10 minutes as I communicated with the person I was going to meet in an hour...and bike fired up. Headed home.

A few hours later, I got the bike on it's side stand again, removed radiator cap and and attempted to clear any air that might be in the system. After running for a few minutes, the engine bogged and died again.

Any suggestions on what to consider/do next to diagnose/correct?
energyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:57 AM   #2
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Doesn’t sound coolant related. I’m thinking electrical or coil related. If it runs fine when cold it’s probably something near the motor not making good connection, and when the motor heats up it causes a open circuit somewhere.
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:51 AM   #3
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

Does not sound like anything to do with coolant. Bike would have to idle an awfully long time with a problem to overheat enough for that to be the issue.

With the engine started, you should be able to see coolant flow when you remove the radiator cap. If so there's no issue there, even if there's still a little air in the system.

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:40 AM   #4
LiquidSilver
Fire is our friend

Fuel filter clogging up? Anything blocking the air box inlet?

LiquidSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:59 PM   #5
longeze

You might have a head gasket leak. Coolant under pressure slowly seeps into the cylinder(s) overnight. When you start it the next day, it'll run rough a bit and blow white smoke until the coolant is purged from the cylinders. Do a leakdown test on the cooling system. If you find a problem with leakdown or you just want to try something, re-torque the cylinder head. Loosen each fastener a bit first, spray the threads with WD-40 where you can, then re-tension. As a diagnostic aid, you could also try loosening the radiator pressure cap after your ride. Leave it loose until you ride the next day and see if the problem goes away. If it does, try re-torqueing the head as described or surface the head as required & replace the head gasket. Good luck with your problem.
longeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:15 PM   #6
Tom Renda
A Person Off Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFZ1 View Post
Doesn’t sound coolant related. I’m thinking electrical or coil related. If it runs fine when cold it’s probably something near the motor not making good connection, and when the motor heats up it causes a open circuit somewhere.
I agree. Head gasket issues normally would not "come and go" so quickly.

Compression test will tell you conclusively.

Smokey exhaust might be due to weak spark.
87 ZG1000 Concours
84 FJ1100
84 Laverda RGS1000
82 Moto Guzzi LeMans 850 Mark III
81 Honda CB900f
75 Norton Commando 850
75 Triumph Trident T160
74 Benelli 650 Tornado
71 BSA Lightning 650
71 Honda SL175
67 BSA Bantam 175
67 BSA Trail Bronc 175
Tom Renda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:40 PM   #7
longeze

If a head gasket is weeping, it will be asymptomatic shortly after startup. Generally that sort of failure doesn't show up on a compression test until the problem becomes worse(which it will) over time.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:52 PM   #8
energyone

Thanks for the responses. Will follow up with the suggestions this weekend.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:11 AM   #9
Tom Renda
A Person Off Color

Post pics of spark plugs, Plug condition, color, and even smell can tell you a lot about what is going on in there. Good luck.
87 ZG1000 Concours
84 FJ1100
84 Laverda RGS1000
82 Moto Guzzi LeMans 850 Mark III
81 Honda CB900f
75 Norton Commando 850
75 Triumph Trident T160
74 Benelli 650 Tornado
71 BSA Lightning 650
71 Honda SL175
67 BSA Bantam 175
67 BSA Trail Bronc 175
Tom Renda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:09 AM   #10
longeze

^^^ This X2
Old 05-24-2019, 10:18 PM   #11
energyone

Seem to have gotten it figured out today. I went to investigate the bike. I'd recently replaced the fuel filter when doing carb work, so was confident that was not a problem. And I'd seen coolant flowing when I last burped the radiator.

MichaelFZ1's comment that it seemed electrical came to mind as I attempted to fire it up, and didn't hear the fuel pump activating and priming the carbs. So I checked various electrical connections...and the fuel pump connection didn't seem to be fully seated. It pulled apart without depressing the retaining tab. After fully seating the connection, I then switched the ignition on, and the fuel pump primed the carbs. Another lesson in checking the basics. If this is indeed the root of the issue, it makes sense in multiple ways--particularly with the recent carb work. If the connector wasn't making good contact at all times, then it's not hard to imagine the engine bogging down when the connection was inadequate and the engine began to be starved of fuel. Another brief test ride, and the bike seemed to be fine.

Once again, thanks to all who contributed their input to help me resolve this. I'm planning on a longer ride tomorrow, so that should reveal if this was indeed the culprit. I'll post again after the ride tomorrow.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 1 Problems & Issues