register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry

Old 03-09-2019, 06:23 PM   #21
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

For the most part, robocallers don't care about do-not-call, they are not US-based.

If you want a good laugh, google Jolly Roger Phone Company, particularly the Ted talks by the founder. I've engaged callers in a similar way myself a few times, but got old a long time ago.

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:24 PM   #22
LiquidSilver
Fire is our friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
“I hate gravity! Is there an app I can use to avoid it?”

No.
The Tesla app
Could have caught a ride on the space Roadster.

LiquidSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:29 AM   #23
isleoman

I have a burner cell phone which never gets spam calls.

We were pretty good at Not Answering the home phone till an elderly parent started to decline, then you have to answer everything quickly.
isleoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:52 PM   #24
novasquid
will ride for food

i'm surprised no one has mentioned the Hiya app for android. there should be one for iphone too. i use the free version on my samsung s8 on ATT and it works most of the time, but the trick is to block entire range of numbers and not just a specific number. for example, i'll get a spam call from a spoofed number from 123-456-7890 one day, next day it'll be 123-456-7891, etc. so within the Hiya app, i'll set up a block for the entire 123-456-xxxx range of numbers. 99% of the time the app blocks the call before it ever rings my phone. you can whitelist or unblock specific numbers that fall within the blocked range, so you can still get those calls.

2nd step is to have all calls go through google voice. 50% of the time they'll leave a silent voice message or some other junk message, but using google voice i can see a transcript of it via email or the app and decide it's junk and not bother with it.
novasquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:28 PM   #25
Desmo
Mein Führer!

Quote:
Hiya
Yep, I tried it for a year or so on my iPhone. Same deal. Not effective because it's looking at a "blacklist" of numbers and the issue is that
spammers are spoofing numbers that are LEGIT numbers. Most of the calls I get are from my same NXX. Hell, some people even report
getting calls from their OWN cell number.

I have had a google voice number back when it was called "GrandCentral" (2009?) Then Google bought them.

I still have it, but early on I found it basically useless because it didn't allow MMS images.

Not sure what the solution is to this, but it's not any of these Apps IMO.
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:38 AM   #26
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

I vaguely remember a short news blurb not long ago whereas the FCC was finally getting ready to demand that the phone carriers put the clamps on robo calling. We shall see, lol.
Neanderthal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:55 AM   #27
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

John Oliver's got our back

**NWS** language etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO0iG_P0P6M
Old 03-11-2019, 08:06 AM   #28
novasquid
will ride for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
Yep, I tried it for a year or so on my iPhone. Same deal. Not effective because it's looking at a "blacklist" of numbers and the issue is that
spammers are spoofing numbers that are LEGIT numbers. Most of the calls I get are from my same NXX. Hell, some people even report
getting calls from their OWN cell number.

I have had a google voice number back when it was called "GrandCentral" (2009?) Then Google bought them.

I still have it, but early on I found it basically useless because it didn't allow MMS images.

Not sure what the solution is to this, but it's not any of these Apps IMO.

i can say it works well for me. once i get a spoofed call, i'll block that entire block of numbers. if it's a legit call, they'll leave a voice message which gets through the call blockers.
novasquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:04 PM   #29
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

Years ago, our land line provider offered a service where all calls immediately received a prompt to leave a brief message stating their business, or to press a digit to be routed through after recording their name. Basically, any genuine calls would then ring thru and when you answered you'd hear that and press something to accept (or something else to route to voicemail, or something else to reject)..

Scam call numbers went to zero. Valid business solicitations (which are irritating but not scams) still occurred now and then. Family and friends had no complaints.

The key here is that the service provider was intercepting the calls. They could absolutely still offer a service like this, but choose not to (even the same provider I had at that time)..

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:21 PM   #30
sloowpoke

You know, every cell phone, even the el cheapo prepaid ones, has the ability to block all the scam calls completely. You don't need to install an app or pay for a blocking service.

You simply select a default ring tone of "silence". Then assign a different ring tone to your contact list. After that, you'll only hear the phone ring when it's someone in your contact list. The callers who you didn't hear will show up in the "missed calls log" so you can call someone back if you want to.
sloowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:49 AM   #31
LiquidSilver
Fire is our friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloowpoke View Post

You simply select a default ring tone of "silence". Then assign a different ring tone to your contact list. After that, you'll only hear the phone ring when it's someone in your contact list. The callers who you didn't hear will show up in the "missed calls log" so you can call someone back if you want to.
Unless of course they use the same logic!

Old 03-16-2019, 11:09 AM   #32
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
I've had the same number for nearly 20 years now. I can't remember if I ever registered it with the DNC list, but not in any recent memory.

I use the don't answer method and I only get a couple of robocalls per week. If that. I've blocked a few numbers over the past couple of years but my block list is less than 20 numbers at the moment.

I have no idea how this works or how I've avoided getting so many. A guy I work with was getting about 20 calls a day from Rachel with card services. There has to be a movie script about someone who loses it and hunts down the actual person responsible for Rachel and sends them to telemarketer hell.
When "Rachel" calls me I give her a big dose of my referee's whistle.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:23 PM   #33
LiquidSilver
Fire is our friend

Whistle does nothing except hurt your own ears. It's a prerecorded voice to get your answers that is AI interpreted. The best strategy is answering the questions with unexpected answers. This requires human translation later, when time spent on the phone vs valuable response information doesn't jive.
Answer positive/negative affirmation questions with taco, fish, toad etc. Social questions designed to humanize AI, like "How are you today should be answered brick, French Fry, or Splunge!

Old 03-16-2019, 04:27 PM   #34
LiquidSilver
Fire is our friend

Of course by doing so you run the risk of HAL locking you out of the spaceship first in a few years.

Old 03-17-2019, 01:03 AM   #35
Pat Glenn
Everything's Just Ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSilver View Post
Whistle does nothing except hurt your own ears. It's a prerecorded voice to get your answers that is AI interpreted. The best strategy is answering the questions with unexpected answers. This requires human translation later, when time spent on the phone vs valuable response information doesn't jive.
Answer positive/negative affirmation questions with taco, fish, toad etc. Social questions designed to humanize AI, like "How are you today should be answered brick, French Fry, or Splunge!
Pat Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry