register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Tips & Techniques

Old 04-04-2018, 12:13 PM   #81
fermic37

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermic37 View Post
I sure hope the OP is alive and didnt push his luck too far. he hasnt logged on since 8/2017
Yup. Or burned the bike down since we didnít give him a detailed write up on how to install underglow
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 12:26 PM   #82
Cougar
Nerd Herder

The OP hasn't been on this site since last August 21.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 12:53 PM   #83
okrider

He took our secrets and ran away
okrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:09 PM   #84
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
"Scrubbing your boots" made me laugh. I gave Jake a pair of boots that I had scrubbed a hole in the left one. Kevin Schwantz told me I rode with "duck feet" so I put the ball of my foot on the peg when I'm cornering now.
Iím getting better, and I know balls of the feet is proper body positioning, but it still feels awkward for me. Plus I like to ďfeelĒ the ground so I know if Iím about to run out of tire.

I already went to the trouble of buying boots with toe sliders so fvck it lol. Canít hurt em.
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:44 PM   #85
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFZ1 View Post
I’m getting better, and I know balls of the feet is proper body positioning, but it still feels awkward for me. Plus I like to “feel” the ground so I know if I’m about to run out of tire.

I already went to the trouble of buying boots with toe sliders so fvck it lol. Can’t hurt em.
Your foot pegs will be ground a long ways before you'll run out of tire. I have even grounded the shifter and rear brake levers. I have posted pictures of them in the past.

I also bought a pair of boots with toe sliders but I no longer drag my boots.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:17 AM   #86
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFZ1 View Post
Iím getting better, and I know balls of the feet is proper body positioning, but it still feels awkward for me. Plus I like to ďfeelĒ the ground so I know if Iím about to run out of tire.

I already went to the trouble of buying boots with toe sliders so fvck it lol. Canít hurt em.
Unless my feet are out of place, my pegs grind before my toe sliders, and I've never ran out of tire. I don't think that's a very realistic fear, at least without trying to screw it up.
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 01:40 PM   #87
Oldirtyrider
I fall alot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDER1 View Post
good advice, part of my problem is riding very little and very little of that time is on decent corners but still fun to work on getting better and smoother

so true, I realized quickly that diving into a corner hard and then whacking the throttle open doesn't work so well on the street
g'lawd , drift / powerslide??
Oldirtyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 04:46 PM   #88
klj7734

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldirtyrider View Post
g'lawd , drift / powerslide??
Right! Just come off the throttle, tap the rear brake to break the rear wheel loose and then crank on the throttle!

The fun way to corner!
klj7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:26 PM   #89
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

“When in doubt, throttle it out”

It may not be the best solution to the situation, but at least it’ll end the suspense!
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:45 PM   #90
COOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by klj7734 View Post
Right! Just come off the throttle, tap the rear brake to break the rear wheel loose and then crank on the throttle!

The fun way to corner!
"Backing it in"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XObF1FLyiL8
Old 04-06-2018, 05:27 AM   #91
glory racing

Sounds easy...but it definitely aint. It is fun to watch the supermoto guys attempt and highside every year when they come to town.
glory racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:20 PM   #92
Oldirtyrider
I fall alot

Quote:
Originally Posted by glory racing View Post
Sounds easy...but it definitely aint. It is fun to watch the supermoto guys attempt and highside every year when they come to town.
I like my bike too much . I'd rather just straighten up and lock that rear and cram the front hoping I dont need ABS

I have never attempted a drift on street before .

I still think the best option is to just baby it into the corner until you get o know your bike and just step up your lean and approach and speed until you find the line you're happy with .
Oldirtyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:36 PM   #93
sloowpoke

I just assume that whatever sport bike I own, will handle the lean angle I routinely put on my fat heavy cruiser :-)

So far, I've been right. The cruiser rear tire is used all the way to the edges, while the FZ1 has about 1/2" chicken stripes. I measured the face curve and width once and found that the tire on the FZ1 had exactly the same curve as the heavy touring tire on my cruiser, but the face was 1" wider on the FZ1.

Yeah, I routinely find the pavement partly folding up the floorboards on my cruiser. It's no big deal. The traction is ample even on wet roads. That's one more reason I ride alone. Other cruiser riders slow down for curves. I don't, unless there's a problem with visibility.

regards,
Joe
sloowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Tips & Techniques