register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 05-15-2018, 11:14 PM   #1
G_man

The Curse is Officially BROKEN!!!!

Yep just like the curse of the Babe with the Red Sox and the Goat with the Chicago Cubs there was the Coin Flip with the Suns....

For those that don't know there was a coin flip 50 years ago for the number one pick it involved Phoenix and Milwaukee, well we lost that coin flip toss and the number one pick was a player you might know Lew Alcindor.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar would go on to be one of the greatest centers to ever play the game and in that 50 years we have never had a dominant Center or a #1 pick.

The curse is now broken!!!!

We are going to go after the kid just down the road in Tucson DeAndre Ayton from the Bahamas he spent one year with the Wildcats and is an absolute Beast.
reminds me of a young Hakeem Olajuwon, big guy who can move, good hands and can shoot.

We got a good young core to work with.
The key players Devin Booker who scored 70 points against the Celtics last year, Josh Jackson who had a great second-half rookie season and now Ayton.

It's been a rough road for Phoenix Suns fans the last 7 years just like the 76ers who toiled near the bottom now they are turning it around with some good young Talent.

The future looks bright and I'm sure glad I've hung tough as a season ticket holder.
Hasn't been easy but I always figured the one year I did not renew the next year would be good hahaha!
27 years in this roller coaster ride....:woohoo:

JJ was our lucky charm

AYTON won a few awards in just his one year.

Beastmode highlights

Steve McQueen--On Any Sunday
G_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:06 AM   #2
Rabeet
Boys of Walmart

Which sport is this?

If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule? - Anton Chigurh

If it ain't it'll do til the mess gets here. - Ed Tom Bell

He wants to know the names of all those he's better than - Little Hitlers Elvis Costello
Rabeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:50 AM   #3
G_man

Hockey duh!

Old 05-16-2018, 03:26 AM   #4
fermic37

What is a "sport" and how does another person playing a game affect me or you?
fermic37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:20 AM   #5
G_man

I thought this was the off-topic section....
Geez

Old 05-16-2018, 05:35 AM   #6
val guy
Go Celtics!!!!!

G- we watched the lottery last night too. Good to see the Suns have a nice pick for the draft. I'm a huge NBA fan! Go Boston!!!

The other guys are just out of touch old fogeys who aren't with it.
val guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:14 AM   #7
G_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by val guy View Post
G- we watched the lottery last night too. Good to see the Suns have a nice pick for the draft. I'm a huge NBA fan! Go Boston!!!

The other guys are just out of touch old fogeys who aren't with it.
Thanks Val at least somebody can appreciate my happiness.

People have to complain about everything nowadays cracks me up.

It's been a rough go out here in the Valley of the Sun as far as sports teams goes.

I grew up a Lakers fan as I spent my first 29 years in Southern Cal, it was easy to be a Laker fan as they were going every year to the finals against Boston.

Man those finals were epic, best ever have you seen the replays they've been shown on ESPN?

Anyway yeah I'm rooting for Boston too as I'm tired of the Cavs in the East.

Last edited by G_man; 05-16-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:31 AM   #8
organ donor

Wow, you guys must be really hard up. Isn't it a bit premature to be lifting a curse? I mean the guy hasn't even dribbled a ball in the NBA so I'm not sure it qualifies. He could easily be a wash out, get arrested for murder, snap an ankle on his first tip off, decide to hang it up and pursue a career stocking the top shelf at a grocery store. It's okay to be excited, but maybe temper it until you see the guy play half a season at least.
organ donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:06 PM   #9
Skiman
Renaissance Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by organ donor View Post
decide to hang it up and pursue a career stocking the top shelf at a grocery store.

Remember Sam Bowie? He was picked ahead of some guy named Jordan in the 1984 draft.
Skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:44 PM   #10
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Greg Oden.

The Suns are going to be better. But the Lakers will probably be spending what they've been sitting on in the off-season and could get a lot better as well.

Go Cavs!
Old 05-16-2018, 05:21 PM   #11
G_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by organ donor View Post
Wow, you guys must be really hard up. Isn't it a bit premature to be lifting a curse? I mean the guy hasn't even dribbled a ball in the NBA so I'm not sure it qualifies. He could easily be a wash out, get arrested for murder, snap an ankle on his first tip off, decide to hang it up and pursue a career stocking the top shelf at a grocery store. It's okay to be excited, but maybe temper it until you see the guy play half a season at least.
Well yes actually the Phoenix Suns are hard up as you put it. We are the Chicago Cubs of the NBA a lot of bad luck has happened to this team.

My first year as a ticket holder was 92-93 when we got Charles Barkley and we went to the finals against Michael Jordan that was a great series.

Then there was the Western Conference finals against are arch nemesis the San Antonio Spurs we had them on the ropes and Robert Horry knew that and push Steve Nash blatantly into the sideline boards. Our best player Amar'e Stoudemire and Boris Diaw put one foot over the line that was it!

David Stern suspended those players and the Spurs went on to win that series and swept the team in the finals 4-0.

I could go on and on but I think you get the idea of our bad luck.

The curse was the coin flip back in 1967 that we lost and never had a number one pick or a dominant Center since.

We now have the number one pick and I truly believe this guy's the real deal I've been following him all year in college and he played really well for a freshman his body is a freak of nature at 19 years old.

The curse has been broken.
If this is not the case next season I will truly eat crow mark my words but I've been following basketball for 50 years and know a good player when I see one.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:22 PM   #12
G_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiman View Post

Remember Sam Bowie? He was picked ahead of some guy named Jordan in the 1984 draft.
Of course I remember Sam Bowie and the pick over Jordan whoever made that choice should have got fired he probably did.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:25 PM   #13
G_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfz1 View Post
Greg Oden.

The Suns are going to be better. But the Lakers will probably be spending what they've been sitting on in the off-season and could get a lot better as well.

Go Cavs!
Yes I'm well aware of the Lakers and just hope to God they don't clear LeBron with Hollywood money.

That would be your worst nightmare as well as the Cavs are nothing without LeBron.

And that is a huge problem he's almost a one-man band over there he has no Supporting Cast like Boston has I don't see how they're going to beat them in this series.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:29 PM   #14
gotfz1

Bowie wasn't a "pick" problem. He was exactly what Portland wanted. There's been some controversy that he may have been hurt when drafted but he played in nearly every game his first year. Somebody fell on him in his second season and he was never right after that.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:39 PM   #15
gotfz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_man View Post
Yes I'm well aware of the Lakers and just hope to God they don't clear LeBron with Hollywood money.

That would be your worst nightmare as well as the Cavs are nothing without LeBron.

And that is a huge problem he's almost a one-man band over there he has no Supporting Cast like Boston has I don't see how they're going to beat them in this series.
Nah, not a nightmare. Expected, like last time. Big problem with the Cavs is the psychotic owner that let GM David Griffin go after building a championship team. The bad decisions started shortly after that and it's been snow-balling since then.

They fit well with the Browns who have the worst ownership and management for many years running.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:41 PM   #16
G_man

Quote:
Bowie wasn't a "pick" problem. He was exactly what Portland wanted. There's been some controversy that he may have been hurt when drafted but he played in nearly every game his first year. Somebody fell on him in his second season and he was never right after that.
Portland might have needed a tall center at the time but sometimes you have to go with the best athlete available which in that case was Michael Jordan

Old 05-16-2018, 05:49 PM   #17
G_man

Quote:
Nah, not a nightmare. Expected, like last time. Big problem with the Cavs is the psychotic owner that let GM David Griffin go after building a championship team. The bad decisions started shortly after that and it's been snow-balling since then.

They fit well with the Browns who have the worst ownership and management for many years running.
Yep and you know where David Griffin came from right he was groomed from the Bottom by the Phoenix Suns and we let him go along with the current president for the Golden State Warriors Rick Welts oh and we also had a guy named Steve Kerr as our GM his first year and then when we lost in the playoffs him and D'antoni butted heads when Kerr asked him to work on defense for next year D'antoni left on a plane for New York the next day.

If Only They would have had a cooling off period For a week or two, things might have been so much different.

But yeah you want to talk about bad ownership ever since Jerry Colangelo sold the team to Robert Sarver the banker it's been a real tough road.

That Kyrie Irving for Isaiah Thomas trade has to go down as one of the worst trades in NBA history.

I bet LeBron wishes he had Kyrie at point right about now

Old 05-16-2018, 05:55 PM   #18
gotfz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_man View Post
Portland might have needed a tall center at the time but sometimes you have to go with the best athlete available which in that case was Michael Jordan
I disagree. Good centers, when the game was more center-dominated than it is now, are very difficult to find. Great athletes aren't hard to find in the NBA draft. Hindsight's a wonderful thing of course whether it's with regard to injuries or just how good someone will get.

Would you consider Akeem taken at #1 that year a mistake too?
Old 05-16-2018, 06:13 PM   #19
G_man

Quote:
I disagree. Good centers, when the game was more center-dominated than it is now, are very difficult to find. Great athletes aren't hard to find in the NBA draft. Hindsight's a wonderful thing of course whether it's with regard to injuries or just how good someone will get.

Would you consider Akeem taken at #1 that year a mistake too?
Oh hell no Hakeem was a great athlete and that's who Ayton reminds me of.

Sam Bowie reminds me of Alex Len a tall lanky guy.
Len has been a major disappointment for the Suns in his five years just like Sam Bowie turned out to be a BUST and oh yeah Alex Len was hurt in his first year too he basically sucks good riddance.

Last edited by G_man; 05-16-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:19 PM   #20
G_man

Well before the ping pong balls bounced around Deandre Ayton ended up on the cover of Slam....

Just like Steve Nash who's first sport he excelled in was soccer so does Ayton.

That relates to great footwork and Agility something you don't often see in a 7 foot one, 260lb player.

http://arizonasports.com/story/15291...ver-nba-draft/

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion