click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Parts & Accessories > Gen 2 Parts & Accessories

Old 11-04-2019, 11:25 AM   #1
roundhouse

1 tooth on rear?

I need a new rear tire, so i thought i might as well change the rear sprocket as well.

My bike is plenty fast for me. I do not wheelie on purpose and want to keep it fairly mild. Would going up one tooth even be noticeable?

If you were going to do it would you just go ahead and change both sprockets and the chain at the same time? I only have 14K on my 2013 and maintain the chain well. Is it worth changing?

Or just leave it all alone and install the rear tire with the stock gear?
roundhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:30 AM   #2
okrider

I was on the same boat as you, went with -1 on the front. I thought it was great. Just changed the front sprocket with the same rear and chain. Didn't have any issues. I don't think you'll be satisfied with +1 in the rear
okrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:56 AM   #3
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Based on your description and if there aren't any issues with the chain, I don't think I'd bother with a +1 on the rear. Too little effect. I'd say keep up with your good maintenance, inspecting it occasionally for tight spots, worn rear sprocket, or a front cog that begins to hook significantly. Yes, it is perfectly fine to replace the front sprocket if the chain and rear are still in good shape. The small diameter front bears the most load and wear, which is why it is made of hard steel and not aluminum as the rear, but it still wears faster. If all of that remains good, don't plan to change the chain/sprockets until the 10-link measurement is as described here:
http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41882

This stuff gets debated on occasion, so the last thought is, do what makes you feel good.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 12:08 PM   #4
Longboardr
Gone to the dirt side

Going up a tooth in the rear would make it easier to wheelie, though admittedly you're not likely to notice the difference.
'05 Liquid Silver FZ1: Traxxion Springs/Axxion Valves • R6R Shock • Multi-Gauge V7.1 • '00-'01 R1 Shift Arm • Soupys Adjustable Bones • Devilsyam Frame Plugs • Convertibars • Oxford Heaterz with Symtec control • GYT-R CF Slip On • Fren Tubo SS Brake Lines • Brembo Pads • Fehling Case Guards • Ninja 250 Highway Pegs • Pyramid Hugger • Sargent Seat • FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn • Vista Cruise Throttle Lock • The2wheels Shorty Levers • Axio Tail Bag •
Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 12:44 PM   #5
roundhouse

Thanks guys. pretty much answered my question. Appreciate it.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:14 PM   #6
grommet
kinetic mentality

FYI I went 6 up on the rear of my Super Duke and though it does make a difference, it's not like a different bike. (Now I can use 6th gear)

With +1 in back you won't notice a difference.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:13 AM   #7
roundhouse

Thanks for the response. I rode a super duke and thought it wheelie happy with stock sprockets. I got a +1 vortex on the way anyway. Even if I cannot tell a diff that is OK.

Thought about a 520 conversion but the sprocket is so much cheaper and the chain is in good shape.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:22 PM   #8
Dicko
Way more sport than tourer

I went up 2 in the rear and needed a new chain as the stock one brought the rear wheel all the way forward onto the stops. This made the bike turn into corners quicker. I'm not sure if a plus one will need a new chain too, but it will bring the rear wheel forward.
Brembo 16mm Radial MC, ASV short Levers, Brembo GP4-RX calipers, Hell braided lines, R1 Fender, Ohlins FGRT 206 forks, Ohlins shock (tuned - Racebike Services), Marchesini rims, Vortex 48t sprocket, Arrow Headers - Micron GP slipon, tailtidy, Rizoma (risers, conical bars, Lux grips, bar ends, 744 mirrors, fluid reservoir, Rev rearsets/B Pro pegs), Speedo healer, BMC filter, AIS Block off, PCV (tuned - Neville Lush Racing), Pirelli DR III, Ivan's ECU, GF-Design LED Blinkers, DID gold chain
Dicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:19 PM   #9
roundhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
I went up 2 in the rear and needed a new chain as the stock one brought the rear wheel all the way forward onto the stops. This made the bike turn into corners quicker. I'm not sure if a plus one will need a new chain too, but it will bring the rear wheel forward.
I did not figure this into the equation. If I have to i will buy a new chain no big deal. I will get a vortex front sprocket too.

Still curious about the 520 chain and sprocket conversion. I will post that as well.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:34 AM   #10
fermic37

a 520 conversion will not benefit you at all, it will just decrease the longevity of your chain life.

doing +1 in the rear you will notice almost no difference.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:16 AM   #11
JerseyDiesel

Location: Jersey, Ga a suburb of Loganville outside of Walnut Grove
I went +1 on the rear. You will notice it a bit, but probably not in a good way. Yea, it is a little quicker, (unnecessary) but it makes the speedometer more inaccurate that it already is, higher revs on the highway, and less gas mileage.

I will be going back to stock next time.
JerseyDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:20 PM   #12
roundhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyDiesel View Post
I went +1 on the rear. You will notice it a bit, but probably not in a good way. Yea, it is a little quicker, (unnecessary) but it makes the speedometer more inaccurate that it already is, higher revs on the highway, and less gas mileage.

I will be going back to stock next time.
JD, I had already ordered the 1 tooth up sprocket. I went ahead and put it on. I used GPS to see the diff with my speedo. At 70 on the GPS I was doing 5250 RPM. Which is pretty close to what I was doing before I changed the sprocket. I did put on a new tire. The old one was pretty thin so maybe the slight increase in the tread put me equal.

I did have to move the axle forward a few mm. I cannot tell a difference in handling other than the regular. going from a totally worn out tire to a brand new one.

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Parts & Accessories > Gen 2 Parts & Accessories