click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 12-01-2019, 12:24 PM   #61
Desmo
Hello ladies...

Here’s an article comparing the two.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cne...utube-in-2019/

Hell it may be worth buying both and trying reach and returning the one you like least.
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 03:49 PM   #62
Longboardr
Gone to the dirt side

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDD View Post
Slow. Then slower. Now realizing it’s stupid slow, and I should be able to do better It was my daughters from her time in college. Must be 7 years old at least

What Desmo linked will be way faster. If you're interested in using the Roku remote to control the tv volume/power on/off and a voice remote function (which I wouldn't be without so I can avoid typing titles) you can spend some more.

Edit:

https://www.roku.com/products/streaming-stick-plus
'05 Liquid Silver FZ1: Traxxion Springs/Axxion Valves • R6R Shock • Multi-Gauge V7.1 • '00-'01 R1 Shift Arm • Soupys Adjustable Bones • Devilsyam Frame Plugs • Convertibars • Oxford Heaterz with Symtec control • GYT-R CF Slip On • Fren Tubo SS Brake Lines • Brembo Pads • Fehling Case Guards • Ninja 250 Highway Pegs • Pyramid Hugger • Sargent Seat • FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn • Vista Cruise Throttle Lock • The2wheels Shorty Levers • Axio Tail Bag •

Last edited by Longboardr; 12-01-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:02 PM   #63
Desmo
Hello ladies...

News flash!

The Roku Ultra (Their top model) is on sale for $50 (50% off) today and tomorrow. I just ordered one to replace my two year old Premier.

WDD if you want my old one you can have it for a donation to the OA in whatever amount you decide.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:46 PM   #64
WDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
News flash!

The Roku Ultra (Their top model) is on sale for $50 (50% off) today and tomorrow. I just ordered one to replace my two year old Premier.

WDD if you want my old one you can have it for a donation to the OA in whatever amount you decide.
Thanks. I went ahead and ordered a stick +
Should be here in a few days.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:58 AM   #65
WDD

BTW - I was looking around on Amazon, and saw that I could get a great discount. So I jumped on it right away. Shipped in 5 min!

Yep, only paid $45! Yep, saw 1 hour later it's on sale everywhere for $30!

Old 12-04-2019, 05:15 AM   #66
WDD

Roku arrived and all plugged in.

Odd question for the collective - how do I make the Roku remote control the sound bar? The sound bar is connected to the TV via digital cable, and TV speakers are off. Volume and muting can't be controlled by the TV now, and thus the remote needs to "talk directly to" the sound bar.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:14 AM   #67
Longboardr
Gone to the dirt side

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDD View Post
Roku arrived and all plugged in.

Odd question for the collective - how do I make the Roku remote control the sound bar? The sound bar is connected to the TV via digital cable, and TV speakers are off. Volume and muting can't be controlled by the TV now, and thus the remote needs to "talk directly to" the sound bar.
Unfortunately I was in the same position and couldn't get the Roku to get my TV to control the sound bar. I ended up buying a Sideclick and it works for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LXAYO14
'05 Liquid Silver FZ1: Traxxion Springs/Axxion Valves • R6R Shock • Multi-Gauge V7.1 • '00-'01 R1 Shift Arm • Soupys Adjustable Bones • Devilsyam Frame Plugs • Convertibars • Oxford Heaterz with Symtec control • GYT-R CF Slip On • Fren Tubo SS Brake Lines • Brembo Pads • Fehling Case Guards • Ninja 250 Highway Pegs • Pyramid Hugger • Sargent Seat • FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn • Vista Cruise Throttle Lock • The2wheels Shorty Levers • Axio Tail Bag •
Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:27 PM   #68
Alley Oop
Proof That Man Rode Dinosaurs

I'm sure you'll get all the advice you need on streaming.

I just want to say that I could not anticipate the incredible relief that I felt when that cable box no longer cursed my home.

It actually had a physical presence. An evil one.

The demon is gone.
Alley Oop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:39 PM   #69
Alley Oop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Blue View Post
Thanks guys, this is great. I am learning a lot.

I like to watch the local channels for news mostly. Once in a while for sports. I’ve never been dedicated to sports enough to pay extra to get games that aren’t on local tv.

I just have the basic lowest cost plan, no HBO, etc. I don’t subscribe to Netflix or amazon, but my ex does and they run her 12 a month, and 12 a year respectively.

Channels I watch are History, Discovery, National Geo, public tv, Fox News, History, MSNBC, ESPN for a game every once in a while. Any channel that might have an interesting movie.

Sounds as if you'd be a good candidate for Hulu.

Local channels, ESPN sports channels, most of the good cable channels.

And you can subscribe to HBO or Showtime through Hulu, if you like--and turn them on or off.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:07 PM   #70
Stella Blue
Yucksamush

Good advice! Thanks, Oop!
Stella Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:10 PM   #71
Alley Oop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Blue View Post
Good advice! Thanks, Oop!

You're welcome!
Old 12-05-2019, 02:32 PM   #72
_Will_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Oop View Post

I just want to say that I could not anticipate the incredible relief that I felt when that cable box no longer cursed my home.

It actually had a physical presence. An evil one.

The demon is gone.
There is something offensive about having something that sits in the center of your home and receives daily interaction while so often disappointing in what it provides while simultaneously taking a monthly fee of your income.
_Will_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:25 PM   #73
Desmo
Hello ladies...

Streaming local channels on Hulu? That’s not part of the regular service which is like $12 a month. That’s part of Hulu Live which is a lot more.

Fwiw i use a $20 indoor antenna to get local channels.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:45 PM   #74
Stella Blue
Yucksamush

Yep, Des, I gots to give that a try first. I’m so smart, I just realized that if I go to my backyard and get in my camper, I can check out how an antenna will work for me!
Stella Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:00 AM   #75
Keytickler
Causative Factor

I just moved in October. I've never subscribed to any cable service and our prior residence (house) had a rooftop antenna for OTA reception of local channels. We had a Roku for streaming, and subscribed to Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Kanopy (through the public library--free).

The new residence is in a high rise condo building. There are two cable operators and an internet provider wired into the building. I chose the internet provider (HiPoint), and bought two indoor antennae for the two TVs. One antenna connected to the bedroom TV is positioned at a window with clear view to the buildings with the broadcast antennas, and gets all of the local channels without problem. My Roku is on this TV.

The other antenna is connected to the TV in the living room, and can't be positioned near a window. As a result, I am only able to get reception from some of the local broadcast channels, even after playing with antenna position and rescanning multiple times. This TV is a smart TV, and also is connected directly to the router, so all of the streaming channels come in perfectly. I think I'm just going to have to live with the limited OTA reception on this set. Hulu Live is $40 or $45/month which includes local broadcast channels. Not worth it to me.

Keytickler
Old 12-09-2019, 11:56 AM   #76
bradd
Working away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keytickler View Post
I just moved in October. I've never subscribed to any cable service and our prior residence (house) had a rooftop antenna for OTA reception of local channels. We had a Roku for streaming, and subscribed to Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Kanopy (through the public library--free).

The new residence is in a high rise condo building. There are two cable operators and an internet provider wired into the building. I chose the internet provider (HiPoint), and bought two indoor antennae for the two TVs. One antenna connected to the bedroom TV is positioned at a window with clear view to the buildings with the broadcast antennas, and gets all of the local channels without problem. My Roku is on this TV.

The other antenna is connected to the TV in the living room, and can't be positioned near a window. As a result, I am only able to get reception from some of the local broadcast channels, even after playing with antenna position and rescanning multiple times. This TV is a smart TV, and also is connected directly to the router, so all of the streaming channels come in perfectly. I think I'm just going to have to live with the limited OTA reception on this set. Hulu Live is $40 or $45/month which includes local broadcast channels. Not worth it to me.

Keytickler
Buy an AirTV, connect it to the antenna that works. It has dual tuners and can DVR OTH and also stream via your home WiFi to the AirTV app on the TV that gets bad reception.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:39 PM   #77
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keytickler View Post

Keytickler
While condo living in West Palm Beach, I used a special flat coax to get out to the balcony and had a "almost invisible" antenna up at the ceiling, but outdoors. Barely noticed it and significantly improved reception for the local channels. Anything to avoid cable/sat bill.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:42 PM   #78
Desmo
Hello ladies...

Finally got the Premier yesterday and installed it. Definitely a nice upgrade from my 2017 model. This one has a cat5 connector so i used that instead of wifi. It flew through through the update and channel installs.

The remote is nice too. Voice search and it can control the TV power and volume. I usually use my stereo speakers and center channel instead, but still a nice addition. Oh yah. Voice search! i’ll need to get used to it since it’s not as smart as Alexa when it comes to figuring out what you mean. Seems to need the exact title in order to find it.

For $50 i’m a happy camper with the improvements.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:22 AM   #79
Keytickler
Causative Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradd View Post
Buy an AirTV, connect it to the antenna that works. It has dual tuners and can DVR OTH and also stream via your home WiFi to the AirTV app on the TV that gets bad reception.
The TV that gets the poorer OTA reception is connected directly to the router via a Cat 5 cable, so it streams perfectly. I'll look into AirTV to learn more.

Thanks.

Keytickler

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion