click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion

Old 11-18-2014, 08:45 AM   #1
CynKrzy
Lean baby, Lean

Buying from eBay ??

I'm looking to get an FZ-1. I've seen a couple on eBay that are fairly priced, but I'm nervous buying a bike sight unseen and having it shipped all the way across the country to Cali -

Anyone have any experience buying a bike from eBay ? Care to share ?

Cheers, looking forward to joining the Club!

Cyn~
CynKrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:09 AM   #2
stomp347

Yup, just bought my S-10 from across the country, although it was new. I always look at their feedback, and how many transactions. There are quite a few good deals on ebay, some real nice FZ's.
stomp347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:09 AM   #3
stomp347

And for the remainder of the year, Haulbikes has a special of 525.00
Old 11-18-2014, 09:14 AM   #4
ralphcor

if you find one about to buy, post the location on the forum asking if anyone can go check it out. He was able to confirm the condition and gave me a good feeling about buying sight unseen/except pics - someone can hide/not show a lot depending... I did this years ago and paypal'd the guy $20. for his time to get some drinks on me.

if done right, you can get some great deals on ebay as it's usually the last resort to sell if they can't do it locally
Old 11-18-2014, 09:31 AM   #5
stomp347

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphcor View Post
if you find one about to buy, post the location on the forum asking if anyone can go check it out. He was able to confirm the condition and gave me a good feeling about buying sight unseen/except pics - someone can hide/not show a lot depending... I did this years ago and paypal'd the guy $20. for his time to get some drinks on me.

if done right, you can get some great deals on ebay as it's usually the last resort to sell if they can't do it locally
Great idea!!
Old 11-18-2014, 09:41 AM   #6
WileyLogHomes
Need a Log Home?

I've used eBay a lot, feedback is (almost) everything. Make sure the pics are good, ask questions, and if it's something I'm interested in that isn't going to meet reserve I always try and message to get the sellers contact info outside of eBay, that way after the auction ends and the high bidder crops out or seller wants to drop price you are first in line before it goes back to the masses. I used to be a Power seller back in the day before eBay got all crazy. I know there's a pretty smoking hot retro on there now that's done up nice.... And no Reserve!.....
Old 11-19-2014, 08:59 AM   #7
1mprnt

I bought my '06 on eBay. The seller had 100% feedback. I asked him about frame crack issue and he stated no problems. The auction was no reserve and I could not pass on the price. I did have to drive 1200 miles round trip to pick it up. Yes I was a little nervous but we had good communication back and forth.

You should check out Wiley's 2007 retro currently on eBay. If I was in the market I would be bidding on it.
1mprnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:02 AM   #8
malkey
Nookie Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by stomp347 View Post
Great idea!!
Seconded. But you should be able to find a good used FZ1 in Cali.

I'd rather teabag a hungry lion than buy a Harley Davidson.
malkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:04 AM   #9
CynKrzy
Lean baby, Lean

Thanks all. I saw the retro. Is the owner a member ?

I'm looking at a new one out of state at a price I can't resist. But getting it registered in Cali seems like it might be impossible.

Anyone got any secrets in that regard ?
Old 11-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #10
thepopularjock
Sometimes I "Drunk Post" :)

I found my Skunk on eBay. The guy lives about 3 hours away from me and I drove up to meet him in Dallas. I had a very good experience but I know some people have not. The main thing is to look at the bike, listen to it run,twist the throttle and listen to it rev up, things like that. Most people will not let you take a test drive unless you have cash in hand. I totally understand that so just be prepared for a seller to take that stance. I would also ask a lot of questions about maintenance and a maintenance log. The reason I say that is because if someone is meticulous about taking care of their bike - it is probably going to be in pretty good shape when they sell it off to you.

I would really suggest trying to buy off one of the fz1 forums. A lot of times you can get bikes that have already been upgraded for a fraction of the cost. Plus you have a whole bunch of eyes watching the classified ads. If somebody tries to pull a fast one or sell some junk ~ everyone will call them on it really fast. The forums are a really big help to buy and sell motorcycles and motorcycle equipment. Plus a lot of people on the forums know each other so it's pretty easy to get some feedback on the sellers. You're at a very good time to buy a bike right now 《Meaning this time of year》so hopefully you'll find something you like.

thepopularjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:05 PM   #11
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mprnt View Post
I bought my '06 on eBay. The seller had 100% feedback. I asked him about frame crack issue and he stated no problems. The auction was no reserve and I could not pass on the price. I did have to drive 1200 miles round trip to pick it up. Yes I was a little nervous but we had good communication back and forth.

You should check out Wiley's 2007 retro currently on eBay. If I was in the market I would be bidding on it.
That's the one I'd go after - GORGEOUS bike! 33,000 miles is nothing on these bikes and you won't have any trouble registering it in CA.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:23 PM   #12
Harry1976
Old Guy

I trust Ebay much more than I do Craigslist, at least with Paypal and the Ebay rating system you have some knowledge and resource if something goes wrong.
Harry1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:49 AM   #13
CynKrzy
Lean baby, Lean

Well,I hiked up my big boy shorts and did it. '07 midnight blue for 4k. Won't see it for a few weeks. Fingers crossed
Old 11-22-2014, 07:54 AM   #14
Harry1976
Old Guy

Good luck!
Harry1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:12 AM   #15
stomp347

Let us know the details when you get it. Let the wait begin.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:17 AM   #16
CynKrzy
Lean baby, Lean

Now plotting the upgrades. Talked to Ivan, will do the full package. But will ride it a bit first. May have to do suspension first. It's box stock. I'm excited.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:25 AM   #17
jredford
Musical Metal

Just about every bike I have purchased for street riding has been a fly and ride, never had a problem. I like the journey as much as the destination.

2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike
2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:44 AM   #18
CynKrzy
Lean baby, Lean

Are ya ready for the excruciating details ?
Found the bike on eBay. It wasn't an auction but a "Make Offer". I did, so did some others, none were accepted. I called the dealer, more on them later, and bought it for the advertised price.

PayPal the money, they're supposed to send paperwork for me to sign and overnight back. Days go by, nothing. I email the salesman. Get a string of excuses.

I used their shipping company, cuz the prices was about the same as the others, and the salesman claims they've had real good feedback about the shipper.....

2 weeks later, no paperwork, bike hasn't shipped. I eMail again.

"Bikes gonna be picked up tomorrow, I'll eMail tracking info"

no eMail, no paperwork, starting to think I've been scammed. Bout ready to call the PoPo, when I get an eMail the next day, saying the shipper just loaded the bike. Also has a .pdf of the paperwork, sign and fax back.

No tracking info, nada. Shyte!

Next day I get a call from the shipper! YAY!

Bike got delivered yesterday, not quite as clean as the pics, but all in all, it's in good shape with the exception of the bent handlebars.

Shyte! Now I think it's been crashed! Start pulling plastic off to check manufacture dates, see if I can prove it... when it dawns on me, that the bars probably got bent by the shipper, he had it tied down on the kickstand, and the left side of the bars are bent down! Little too much enthusiasm on the tie downs.

So I've cleaned it, changed the oil and filter. Wrong filter and it was over-full on oil!
It needs tires, and it's raining finally so probably won't get to ride it till the weekend!

Go check my intro thread for a pic.

Still don't have the title, salesman "It usually takes 7-10 days to process the paperwork" - That was after they'd had my $$ for 2 weeks!

Advise for anyone buying from the internet. You can pay an appraiser about $100.00 to inspect the bike before you purchase, they can also give you their impression of the seller. Kind of wish I'd done that, but oh well, seems it turned out well in the end.

The seller:
American Motorcycle Traders, aka Clean Harleys dot com.
seems they have a bit of a rep for taking there own sweet time on things.
And aren't exactly known for their after sale support. Should have looked into them closer before I bought it, but I get a bit compulsive at times...
Old 12-11-2014, 11:41 AM   #19
outlawyer
2009 Bill Buckley Award Winner

The shippers often show less than stellar care. A buddy had his Goldwing shipped to AK, when it got there a 2x4 had been placed in the crate so that the tank had a perfect "L" across it it from the edge of the plank.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:38 PM   #20
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Make a claim to the shipping company. Someone owes you a good set of bars.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion