click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 1 Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance

Old 03-15-2019, 07:06 AM   #1
nzdreamer55

looking for carb rebuild service or rebuilt carbs for 2002

Hello everyone,

I have a 2002 FZ1 that I need to have the carbs rebuilt. I would be happy buying a set that are already rebuilt or sending mine in. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much.

Steve
nzdreamer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:59 PM   #2
nzdreamer55

Hello everyone,

Since I was unable to find a new set of carbs ready to go, I decided to clean mine and replace a few things. I wanted to ask for some advice. I saw this at the auto parts store and thought I could use it to clean the bodies, but couldn't remove the choke.

1) Do I need to remove this if I was to soak it in this parts cleaner
2) is this ok for the bodies?

Thanks

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carb body.small.jpg (231.0 KB, 150 views)
nzdreamer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:29 PM   #3
fermic37

Only do that if you removed every bit of rubber from them.

And you created a nightmare by splitting them up.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:17 PM   #4
riding4fun

I agree you should not of split the carbs up. Also do not use that stuff on your carbs.
When I did my jet kit on my 2002 I left the carbs together and just took each one apart and thoroughly cleaned each one with spray carb cleaner and compressed air.
riding4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:19 PM   #5
rdcusmc

I've posted here before that I prefer to split the carbs. Great opportunity to replace every O ring in the entire bank and makes them much easier to clean. I purchased an ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight and it works a treat for jobs like this.

If you have trouble or want assistance, send them my way and I can give them the once over.

Best,
Ron

2003 Blue FZ1 - Ivan's MB Jet kit, Akrapovic, GOEC w/remote and GPS, 07 R1 fork conversion w/6 pot brakes, R1 master cylinder, R1 rear wheel w/R6 caliper, Penske shock, Dirt Road seat, AIS removed, HID and LED lights, full Givi luggage, Galfer lines, chain oiler, Rizoma bar, cat-eye turn signals above headlights, grip heaters, factory lower fairings, air box mod w/high flow filter, Cometic thin head gasket, FazerPhil large gas tank mod.
rdcusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:39 PM   #6
Gorilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdreamer55 View Post
Hello everyone,

Since I was unable to find a new set of carbs ready to go, I decided to clean mine and replace a few things. I wanted to ask for some advice. I saw this at the auto parts store and thought I could use it to clean the bodies, but couldn't remove the choke.

1) Do I need to remove this if I was to soak it in this parts cleaner
2) is this ok for the bodies?

Thanks

Steve
By the way, where did you find the set of carbs for sale?
Gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:51 PM   #7
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla View Post
By the way, where did you find the set of carbs for sale?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdreamer55 View Post
I was unable to find a new set of carbs ready to go, I decided to clean mine and replace a few things.
There. That should do it.
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:26 PM   #8
hooligan998
Save a life, grope your wife!

What? Did you say something?
Old 04-29-2019, 05:58 AM   #9
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcusmc View Post
I've posted here before that I prefer to split the carbs. Great opportunity to replace every O ring in the entire bank and makes them much easier to clean. I purchased an ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight and it works a treat for jobs like this.

If you have trouble or want assistance, send them my way and I can give them the once over.

Best,
Ron
Because if you're going to rebuild ancient carbs with lots of old rubber, just do it once by doing it right. Splitting and reassembling carb banks isn't voodoo.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:06 PM   #10
thejaredhuang

+1 on the HF ultrasonic, never going to sit and scrub and pick at orificies again.

I take apart the screws/jets and put them in an ultra sonic cleaner with 2oz Simple Green, pinch of Alconox (https://www.amazon.com/Alconox-Powde...H/dp/B003FZAQ2), and hot water.

I then find a big pot I don't use for cooking ever again, add the same mix and dump the whole carb body in for 10+ min, I've left it in for hours before no harm done.

Then air blow everything off and reassemble. It comes out cleaner and less toxic than using any carb cleaner.
thejaredhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:25 PM   #11
z1rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyfz1 View Post
Splitting and reassembling carb banks isn't voodoo.
I just did a basic carb. reseal on my 2001 FZ-1. I first pulled the carburetors, and replaced the needle seat o-rings. Thanks Jimco!! My FZ-1 was dropping cylinder(s), spilling gas out the overflows, caused by the leaking seat o-rings. Put it back together, and it now ran great, but was leaking externally, from what I assumed was from the old float bowl gaskets. Got a set of K&L float bowl gasket/seals off of ebay, and replaced them, and re-installed the carbs. Still leaking externally.... I new I should have pre-tested them!! I see now that it is the fuel pipes between the carburetors that are leaking. This will require splitting the carbs.The o-rings are a service item, but I bought a Viton o-ring kit from Harbor Freight. Replaced all 8 o-rings on the fuel pipes, and also the air vent hose tees. The trick is to cover a bench, or desk, etc in rags, and sit down to do the the job of splitting/reassembling the carbs. Nice bright desk lamp, and smaller led light, also. I backed the throttle screws out 2 turns, to help to pry the spring, and insert the lever. Do the vent hoses afterwards. I did carbs 1&2, then 3&4. assembled the 1&2/3&4 sets together, then install the long screws and spacers. Long spacers go in the middle. Leave the screws loose, and carefully pry the carb sets apart, and install the little stand offs between carb 2&3. Tighten long screws, and reinstall choke linkage. My FZ-1 runs great, even without a carb. sync. Oh, I got pretty good at removing, and installing my carbs.,also.

Last edited by z1rider; 06-29-2019 at 01:55 PM.
z1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:50 PM   #12
oldjeep

If you don't split carbs for rebuild then you miss all the fuel log o rings and will have the joy of going back for a second time when they start leaking.
http://www.oldjeep.com
oldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:50 PM   #13
ORBlackFZ1

Does anyone have a link(s) to instructions for rebuilt the carbs with splitting the carbs?

Now that I have sold my 2005 R1, I would like to get my 2002 FZ1 running again.

I let my 2002 FZ1 sit too long. I would like to get the carb rebuild right the first time. I really don't want to pull the carbs again.

I have the carbs out already. I used the instructions from the FZ1OA CD that I purchased years ago to get them out. Thank you very much to Pat for the CD.

Thanks,
Eric
ORBlackFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 1 Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance