register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 1 Problems & Issues

Old 03-11-2018, 05:04 AM   #1
thepopularjock
Sometimes I "Drunk Post" :)

My Skunk is Leaking Fuel

Hey guys - My skunk has been sitting for close to 5 years and I decided to get it running again. I replaced the fuel tank (really to deal with a big dent but I figured that would get rid of the old fuel), Flushed all the fluids and put in a new battery. I thought that would do it but when it came to the moment of truth.........I started leaking fuel.......a pretty good amount. I am afraid I'm not really sure what is happening so I am going to ask for help.

Here is where the fuel is leaking:

If you need to ask questions please ask. I work nights so I will not be able to answer until this evening but I would really appreciate any suggestions......Hopefully, I can get it running tonight.

thepopularjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:59 AM   #2
grommet
kinetic mentality

Float valve o-rings have disintegrated. Cheap and easy fix. I'm out of town so I can't send you some but someone else will offer you some here shortly. Lots of guys have a supply because they come in packs of 100.

Or if you want to buy a bunch do a search for my username and the word McMaster. You get them from McMaster Carr, $4.26 for 100. I've posted the part number and a link here at least a couple of times.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:43 AM   #3
Betweentheframe

I highly suggest buying this kit, replacing needle, seat and oring(transfer the little meah filters from old to new, o ring for main jet, oring for the mixture screw, oring styke float bowl gasket, and it has the oring for the the top that people say is unnecessary but whatver.

If you are going to pull carbs might as well spray it clean and do this, made mine leak free and better balanced and run better(as The oring for my main jet and idle mixture were totally dry and rotted) https://m.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-01-05-...28.m4335.l8656
Betweentheframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:01 AM   #4
arkie6

Those two metal lines you are holding are connected to the carb bowl vents. If gas is coming out of there, then one or more of your carbs are completely full of gasoline. It is also likely filling up one of your cylinders with fuel unless you got lucky and the intake valves are closed on that cylinder. Before you try to turn it over, I would remove the spark plugs to eliminate any possibly of hydro locking a cylinder. Also drain and replace your oil because if it filled a cylinder with gasoline, some or most of that would leak past the rings into the oil.

As Grommet pointed out, this is most likely caused by failed o-rings on the carb float needle and seat assembly allowing the fuel pump overfill the carb(s).
arkie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:25 AM   #5
WileECoyote
Rebel Scum

Arkie nailed it. Change the oil as well. Chances are good that gas has passed on to the crankcase via the valvetrain.
WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:12 AM   #6
Quisp

If you crank it with the plugs out beware, The geyser is impressive. I have 96 of both o-rings.
Quisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:58 AM   #7
Betweentheframe

Time is loney, if you are going to remove those damn things, get the rebuild kit, as it is easy to f up the needle seat pulling it out anyways. Once is fast
Old 03-11-2018, 01:05 PM   #8
SCROOOSE!!
What the.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
Those two metal lines you are holding are connected to the carb bowl vents. If gas is coming out of there, then one or more of your carbs are completely full of gasoline. It is also likely filling up one of your cylinders with fuel unless you got lucky and the intake valves are closed on that cylinder. Before you try to turn it over, I would remove the spark plugs to eliminate any possibly of hydro locking a cylinder. Also drain and replace your oil because if it filled a cylinder with gasoline, some or most of that would leak past the rings into the oil.

As Grommet pointed out, this is most likely caused by failed o-rings on the carb float needle and seat assembly allowing the fuel pump overfill the carb(s).
What a load of nonsense!!

Arkie is right on point. Pull em, rebuild em with the kit linked above, check/adjust your float heights put em back in and ride.

Great time to lube your throttle and choke cables, clean up the hard to reach spots on the motor, check clean change the air filter and change the fuel filter. Enjoy!!!!

I used to have a long sig but then Desmo stopped talking to me.
SCROOOSE!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:01 PM   #9
Pat Glenn
Everything's Just Ducky

http://cartestsoftware.com/fz1/jetki...ml#AddendumIII
Pat Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 04:26 PM   #10
Betweentheframe

Jet kit is great, i actually have an Ivan’s for sale because I bought it, got as far as changing main jets, and realized it had already been ivanizex, i have the pen vice and everything. But I had leaks and hard carb balancing and ordered the K and L rebuild kit and replaced the rubber bits and needle and seat. Smooth as butter now
Old 03-13-2018, 03:22 PM   #11
thepopularjock
Sometimes I "Drunk Post" :)

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much for your help!! You guys are amazing!!

I started pulling my bike apart and took the carbs out pretty quickly. Of course, Pat's step by step is an AMAZING help. LOL, I did have quite a bit of trouble getting the airbox out but I finally got it.

I have to say that I cheated a little with the carb repair because about a year ago I picked up a carb with a Holeshot Jet kit already installed. LOL, That saved quite a bit of time but I honestly think will repair my old carb just to learn how to do it. So all of your answers are very much appreciated.

LOL - AMAZING how much "gunk" or "road grime" builds up over time. I thought my bike was kind of clean until pulled out the carbs and the airbox!!! WOW!!!

So there are still a few little things to do but the bike fires right up. I think I messed up and brushed the nuts that keep tension on the cables so l will probably have to play around with that. That was my fault so I will deal with it but I think I Got it pretty close. The road grime kind of built upon those bolts so I could make a really good guess at where the nuts were located.....because that was the clean spot on the bolts. Well, at least that is the idea??

OBTW - while I was doing this a buddy came over to the house to visit. He is a mechanic so he jumped right in and started helping me (Sometimes vice versa) but he mentioned how helpful the forum was numerous times. Especially the pics showing step by step.

Thanks again...

thepopularjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:39 PM   #12
WileECoyote
Rebel Scum

Great news, glad its sorted. You rock!
WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:22 PM   #13
SCROOOSE!!
What the.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepopularjock View Post
Thank you so much for your help!! You guys are amazing!!

I started pulling my bike apart and took the carbs out pretty quickly. Of course, Pat's step by step is an AMAZING help. LOL, I did have quite a bit of trouble getting the airbox out but I finally got it.

I have to say that I cheated a little with the carb repair because about a year ago I picked up a carb with a Holeshot Jet kit already installed. LOL, That saved quite a bit of time but I honestly think will repair my old carb just to learn how to do it. So all of your answers are very much appreciated.

LOL - AMAZING how much "gunk" or "road grime" builds up over time. I thought my bike was kind of clean until pulled out the carbs and the airbox!!! WOW!!!

So there are still a few little things to do but the bike fires right up. I think I messed up and brushed the nuts that keep tension on the cables so l will probably have to play around with that. That was my fault so I will deal with it but I think I Got it pretty close. The road grime kind of built upon those bolts so I could make a really good guess at where the nuts were located.....because that was the clean spot on the bolts. Well, at least that is the idea??

OBTW - while I was doing this a buddy came over to the house to visit. He is a mechanic so he jumped right in and started helping me (Sometimes vice versa) but he mentioned how helpful the forum was numerous times. Especially the pics showing step by step.

Thanks again...

Pats site is amazing and has helped countless folks!!

Glad you got her goin!!!!

I used to have a long sig but then Desmo stopped talking to me.
SCROOOSE!! is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 1 Problems & Issues