register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering

Old 08-05-2018, 09:45 AM   #21
CharleyB

I replaced a pretty tired Pilot Road 2 with a new Road 5 a few weeks back. All good with the R5 but I'd better be pleased with a close to $300 (Canadian) tire. No rain is in the forecast for a good while but I'm expecting good things if I happen to get caught in a shower.

It's not quite as tall as the same size (190/55) PR2 even through the 2 was down to the wear bars. This was noticed only when going to clean/lube the chain. With the the 2 I would have to put the centre stand on a 2x4 to get the rear tire off the ground to spin it freely, with the the 5 there was no need to do that.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:17 PM   #22
hotboot
pony boy carry me home

Thanks for the 7/20 pics and wear data Will. These are getting good comments around here for grip and wear.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:25 PM   #23
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyB View Post
I replaced a pretty tired Pilot Road 2 with a new Road 5 a few weeks back. All good with the R5 but I'd better be pleased with a close to $300 (Canadian) tire. No rain is in the forecast for a good while but I'm expecting good things if I happen to get caught in a shower.

It's not quite as tall as the same size (190/55) PR2 even through the 2 was down to the wear bars. This was noticed only when going to clean/lube the chain. With the the 2 I would have to put the centre stand on a 2x4 to get the rear tire off the ground to spin it freely, with the the 5 there was no need to do that.
I came from a 190/55 pr2 that had about 1500 miles left in it. And it was worn down enough that the tire cleared with a 17/47 setup on stock length chain. When switching to the R5 I had to order a 16 front sprocket to have enough chain slack to move the wheel back to clear. I know my new R5 was taller than the old pr2, and the R5 is quite peaky.
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:33 PM   #24
okrider

That actually explains the trouble I had trying to reinstall the wheel after putting a R5 on it. Huh, never thought about it that way, just figured I was losing my mind
okrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:02 PM   #25
CharleyB

I had 16T before and after the tire swap, stock chain and rear sprocket so understandably never had to adjust chain tension/wheel position.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:11 AM   #26
glory racing

Love me a good tire thread...thanx for the info.

The pr2 was the last pilot road tire I ran. It would run nice and provide a bit more wear/mileage than other tires however at about 65-75% of tire life it would start to get a bit hard/slick. It would seem to get progressively worse as it was exposed to more heat cycles. Therefore the extra money for the PR3, 4 or 5 I could not justify assuming they would wear like the pr2.

Ya know what assuming does. So, has anyone experience this trait with the PR 4 or 5?
glory racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:51 AM   #27
Lickety Split

Quote:
Originally Posted by glory racing View Post

The pr2 was the last pilot road tire I ran. It would run nice and provide a bit more wear/mileage than other tires however at about 65-75% of tire life it would start to get a bit hard/slick. It would seem to get progressively worse as it was exposed to more heat cycles. Therefore the extra money for the PR3, 4 or 5 I could not justify assuming they would wear like the pr2.

Ya know what assuming does. So, has anyone experience this trait with the PR 4 or 5?
Yep. I really noticed that on the PR2 and PR3. The PR4 GT I run on my FJR does not slip as much, but it is harder than a rock after about 5-7k and hurts my ass.
Lickety Split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:25 AM   #28
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Quote:

Interesting report Mark, I've had the opposite experience with the PR2 rear, which is why I loved riding it till I saw cords. In dry weather and the roads here, the thing would stick like glue til the very end. Really liked that and thought it to be exceptional. Typical pattern would be many heat cycles over a few months, not burning them out in a weekend like you though.

Was out on the Road 5 this weekend, kept feeling some squirm and occasional slip while leaning over. Hmmm, inspection showed the sides well worn, especially the left. I'll take pictures later. The middle still has lots of miles left. Sorry, but life got in the way and I'm not sure how many miles I have, I'll try to take a guess later, but I do have some agressive twisty miles in there, including the 1300+ from the summer rally.

I have a PR2 just waiting to be installed, so think it will go on and keep better records, then go back to the Road 5 for a good back to back comparison.

The front PP3, installed last February, is still in good shape and performs flawlessly.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -

Last edited by iluvmyfz1; 08-08-2018 at 11:00 AM. Reason: PP3 mount
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:38 AM   #29
glory racing

No doubt it is difficult to get a good read on tire performance amongst different riders/bikes. Joe says it lasts forever and fred says it wears terribly. Also, bill said it sticks like Velcro yet terry thinks they are slick as owl sh!t. Mary thought the turn in was slow but martha swears they fall in. I think this may be why deep down we really love tire threads...we are all right!

Again, thanx for the input. Any other pr4 or 5 end of life input?
glory racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:41 AM   #30
fermic37

off the original topic, but my father just installed a set of roadsmart 3s replacing his angel gts. He said the feedback and feel is better than the gts, on his fjr.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:09 PM   #31
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Quote:
No doubt it is difficult to get a good read on tire performance amongst different riders/bikes. Joe says it lasts forever and fred says it wears terribly. Also, bill said it sticks like Velcro yet terry thinks they are slick as owl sh!t. Mary thought the turn in was slow but martha swears they fall in. I think this may be why deep down we really love tire threads...we are all right!

Again, thanx for the input. Any other pr4 or 5 end of life input?
Feel the same. Even more so when it comes to tire pressure. Online, even guys that are "experienced" suspension gurus representing themselves as forum vendors (NOT traxxion) say things online every day that make no sense to me, nor any of the tire vendors and techs I've spoken to.

As for input. No 5s yet. Have run through two sets of 4s and one set of 4 GTs. In practice they are about the same as a PR3 for me with a little better wet performance. They work great for me. Life for a rear is 5000-7500 depending on use.

They warm up the same as any other DOT tire.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:12 PM   #32
OldBiker

My Road 5s feel about the same as the PR4s but with better wet traction. I have about 3,000 miles on them and they were solid in the Dragon last weekend but then I wasn't exceeding the speed limit by much (about double).
OldBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:02 PM   #33
iluvmyfz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBiker View Post
My Road 5s feel about the same as the PR4s but with better wet traction. I have about 3,000 miles on them and they were solid in the Dragon last weekend but then I wasn't exceeding the speed limit by much (about double).
So about 70mph through the Dragon. What air pressure were you running? And just for and grins, what kind of oil do you use?
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
Old 08-07-2018, 08:22 PM   #34
OldBiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyfz1 View Post
So about 70mph through the Dragon. What air pressure were you running? And just for and grins, what kind of oil do you use?
More like 30 to 45. Top speed limit is 30 but it's 15 in most curves.

36f/42r

Motul synth. Maxima FS 10/40
OldBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:35 PM   #35
Alley Oop
Proof That Man Rode Dinosaurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
I've never had grip issues with any Michelin - PR or PP - even below freezing up in the hills.

I DID NOT like the Q2 below about 50ºF - I think I posted about that here before. Like "holy shit what's wrong" bad..

Hey, Alley - I was just
Ah, okay. Thought it was a real question. Ain’t no thang.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:12 AM   #36
iluvmyfz1

Best guess is that I'm at 3.5k miles....maybe. Will record the next two better, a PR2 then another R5. Typically just set the pressure at 42 and leave it. Sides are pretty smooth and I see some feathering on the trailing edges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R5_crop_383x638[1].jpg (187.8 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg R5_2_crop_384x644[1].jpg (180.4 KB, 121 views)
Old 08-23-2018, 10:06 AM   #37
giddyup

Ordered some R5 for my trip to east coast in a month.
Picked up a set for $300 usd.

Past Rides: Kawasaki KX80, Honda CB350, CAN-AM 125 Qualifier, CAN-AM 250MX, CAN-AM 500MX, 1990 Kawasaki ZX6, 2001/2003 KLR 650, 2006 Yamaha FZ1
Current Rides: 2012 Yamaha FZ1/2014 KTM 690 Enduro
giddyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:25 AM   #38
Wonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyfz1 View Post
Best guess is that I'm at 3.5k miles....maybe. Will record the next two better, a PR2 then another R5. Typically just set the pressure at 42 and leave it. Sides are pretty smooth and I see some feathering on the trailing edges.
We need to trade bikes for a couple weeks. My commuting duty only wears out the middle, we can even them up.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:19 AM   #39
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Just finished off my set of Road 5s. First impressions of this tire are fantastic, has MORE THAN enough grip everywhere, which gradually tapers off to enough grip as the tire wears down. As I got down close to the wear bars the tire started shimmying around on wet tar snakes.

But they are a perfect fit for my riding style, and wore evenly from edge to edge while keeping a very peaky profile, even at 7300 miles I did not have a flat spot! I liked these tires so much I bought another set. Also, I remember being asked on a road 5 thread about balance beads, they have performed awesome, no issues at all, never noticed them.

Last edited by MichaelFZ1; 11-11-2018 at 11:07 AM.
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:24 AM   #40
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

Took me a minute to realize that the white patch was the beads. Did you lose some when you dismounted the tire? Also, can you hear a difference in road noise (all that aggressive tread)?
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering