read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear

Old 09-25-2015, 08:37 AM   #1
kjm

New Heated Gear

I tend to ride pretty late in the year here (Ontario, Canada) and one thing I have always struggled with is cold hands, as I have an hour long commute.

There is a local business (Velocity) who has been around for a few years making custom suits/gloves etc but he has now opened a heated clothing division (Fired up), which offers heated battery powered gear. Ski gloves have worked fairly well for me in the past but they lack protection.

Anyhow, his new gear uses Infra-Red heat and the gloves offer great protection. I picked up the gloves and a vest for a crazy low combo price as he is just trying to get them out in the market.

http://www-firedupx-com.myshopify.co...orcycle-gloves

http://www-firedupx-com.myshopify.co...ffy-style-vest

Hopefully I won't have to remove so many layers when I get to work now.

Just thought I'd share. I'll post a review once it gets cold out.
kjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:26 PM   #2
regder

Heated gear definitely makes cold weather riding infinitely easier. I have a full toe to neck setup.

Velocity stuff is questionable. I really wonder how long the company will be around for to warranty things if/when they go bad. Not saying they won't, just too new to tell. Also battery powered means you have to remember to charge them and you have a limited riding time before the battery goes out.

it cost me a fair amount of money trying different things, but I'm pretty happy with my current setup.

Firstgear socks
Firstgear pant liners
Warm & Safe jacket liner
Gerbing gloves
Warm & Safe wireless temperature troller (this alone is the best thing ever)
Old 09-25-2015, 03:35 PM   #3
kjm

Quote:
Originally Posted by regder View Post
Heated gear definitely makes cold weather riding infinitely easier. I have a full toe to neck setup.

Velocity stuff is questionable. I really wonder how long the company will be around for to warranty things if/when they go bad. Not saying they won't, just too new to tell. Also battery powered means you have to remember to charge them and you have a limited riding time before the battery goes out.

it cost me a fair amount of money trying different things, but I'm pretty happy with my current setup.

Firstgear socks
Firstgear pant liners
Warm & Safe jacket liner
Gerbing gloves
Warm & Safe wireless temperature troller (this alone is the best thing ever)
Oh I know, I've had some issues with the vr pro gloves before, which is why I got this combo so cheap. I've always wanted to try heated gear. Hopefully it gets cold in the mornings soon (just for a couple days)
Old 09-26-2015, 09:23 AM   #4
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Heated gloves have proven themselves to me as invaluable cold weather riding gear. Warm fingers and hands make the difference between being comfortable and safe, or miserable and not being able to safely work the controls.

Having a warm core is important too, but with a warm core and frozen hands, riding is miserable and less safe. On the other hand (pun intended), having electrically generated heat radiating into my fingers and hands warms the blood which makes it back to my core, instead of limited body generated heat trying to heat my hands. That actually doesn't work, since as your hands get cold the capillaries contract and significantly reduce the blood flow, and your hands just get colder. With the heatd gloves, your hands warm up externally, capillaries open, heat the blood, then flows to the rest of your body.

I've been using the Tourmaster Synergy 2.0 heated leather gloves for 2 years now, this will be my third winter with them. Easy controller installation and the wiring up to the gloves isn't difficult to deal with at all. I usually quickly route them through the external adjustment tabs on my jacket or suit. I've worn these in sub-freezing temps for hours, in near freezing pouring rain, and they have performed very well. After a couple hours they will soak through, but keep on pumping the heat.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:17 AM   #5
tshrey

For me the extra irritation of connecting the gloves up has always been a put-off. I'm comfortable down to the single digits with lightly insulated motorcycle gloves, heated grips and elephant ears. It can't be overstated how much heat your hands lose to to the moving frigid air; just keeping the air stationary makes it feel 30 degrees warmer. The key is finding elephant ears that adjust to your bike's controls well.
tshrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:56 AM   #6
kjm

Yeah, I have rather large bar end mirrors so the elephant ears were always a no go. Definitely looking forward to warmer hands.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:36 PM   #7
jared p
^ guy

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/news-...andguards.html these have been on my to buy list for awhile. ridden bikes with them, having the wind cut off from your hands makes a HUGE difference.
jared p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:44 PM   #8
davidji

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared p View Post
ridden bikes with them, having the wind cut off from your hands makes a HUGE difference.
When I compared, it seemed like a small difference--though maybe the handguards I was using aren't as good as those.

Last year I shared commute duties between the FZ1 and my Versys, both with the same 5 setting Oxford heated grips. I had Cycra DX handguards on the Versys, none on the FZ1. The hand guards seemed to be good for 1 setting difference on the heated grips. Yeah I could feel the difference, but it paled in comparison to the benefit from the Oxford grips or the Warm n Safe heated gloves.

I never added handguards to the FZ1. Actually I'm considering doing it, because I have the pair I removed from the Versys lying around. But I wouldn't go out and buy a pair for it.

Biggest benefit of handguards may be if you want to use bar muffs, as they keep the bar muffs from pressing your levers at speed. I don't really like bar muffs but they annoy me less used over handguards.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:46 PM   #9
mjstouty
stouty

I have bar end mirrors as well, I use the neoprene ATV mitts, I cut slits as small as possible to stretch over the mirrors. They have extended my riding season considerably, it's really nice not having to ride with the bulky insulated gloves, and I'm reluctant to put any extra stress on the electrical system.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:10 PM   #10
OSUFZ1
14' National Champions

heated gear is great. I learned the hard way that most of it is crap. If you want good heated gear you have to pay for the real deal with Gerbings.
OSUFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:06 PM   #11
packnrat

yes buy the best gerblings fits that to a T.
been using there products for years, great to not put on so much clothing you can not move.

but i have a spare vest liner i can sell to any takers here.
would post a link to the sale page but can not,

anybody want to buy a lightly use gerblings vest liner and single controller with battery hook wires (new part).
$200.usd free ship in the lower 48 states USA. canada? you guys got theses weird add in taxes, import taxes, etc.
over seas?? shippings gona cost you.

packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:12 PM   #12
grommet
kinetic mentality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjm View Post
I tend to ride pretty late in the year here (Ontario, Canada) and one thing I have always struggled with is cold hands, as I have an hour long commute.

There is a local business (Velocity) who has been around for a few years making custom suits/gloves etc but he has now opened a heated clothing division (Fired up), which offers heated battery powered gear. Ski gloves have worked fairly well for me in the past but they lack protection.

Anyhow, his new gear uses Infra-Red heat and the gloves offer great protection. I picked up the gloves and a vest for a crazy low combo price as he is just trying to get them out in the market.

http://www-firedupx-com.myshopify.co...orcycle-gloves

http://www-firedupx-com.myshopify.co...ffy-style-vest

Hopefully I won't have to remove so many layers when I get to work now.

Just thought I'd share. I'll post a review once it gets cold out.
The gloves appear to offer much better protection than the Gerbings I got recently. If they were compatible with the Gerbings 12V controller I'd get a pair.

I sent them an email to ask. Will advise what they say.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:34 PM   #13
cbrentb
Banned

ive had the sedici full heated suit for a year and it works good.
cbrentb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:01 PM   #14
Dicko
Way more sport than tourer

Yes, old thread revival. But the winter here this year is a lot colder than usual. I am still riding, but in need of good winter heated gloves.

What are the current recommendations?

I have looked at
- Tourmaster Synergy 2.0 heated leather gloves
- Gerbing gloves

Any others that I should look at?

pros, cons?

Battery or plug into bike?

Are there any USB chargeable gloves yet? I couldn't find any - Big opportunity here for producers!

I am fortunate enough to live in an area I can ride year round, but the cold 2 degree C mornings this year are getting to me - yes that is Fn cold for me.... stir away.... We never see snow and and haven't had a winter this cold in decades. But this year global extremes have hit and I want warm hands!
Brembo 16mm Radial MC, ASV short Levers, Brembo GP4-RX calipers, Hell braided lines, R1 Fender, Ohlins FGRT 206 forks, Ohlins shock (tuned - Racebike Services), Marchesini rims, Vortex 48t sprocket, Arrow Headers - Micron GP slipon, tailtidy, Rizoma (risers, conical bars, Lux grips, bar ends, 744 mirrors, fluid reservoir, Rev rearsets/B Pro pegs), Speedo healer, BMC filter, AIS Block off, PCV (tuned - Neville Lush Racing), Pirelli DR III, Ivan's ECU, GF-Design LED Blinkers, DID gold chain
Dicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:05 PM   #15
Desmo
Mein Führer!

Heated gear sucks down power in a big way. USB is 5 volts and I think 1 amp at best.

I can't imagine battery powered gloves having any ability to run for more than a few minutes unless the battery was huge. And then charging said battery via USB would take forever.

Seems like heated grips would be the answer there.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:23 AM   #16
kjm

The battery powered gloves I have run for several hours on the highest setting and the batteries are not very big.

https://firedupx.com/collections/hea...oves-and-socks

I have a couple sets of the batteries so I swap them out when using them for long days on the parking lot (i'm a moto instructor).

The battery powered vest I have isn't the greatest (older Gerbing gyde) but it certainly helps.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:02 AM   #17
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

Warm&Safe liner and gloves - great fit and quality. There's a good discount code over on ADVRider (was 18% off when I used it). Also have the Warm&Safe dual remote heat troller, eliminates a lot of the wiring mess.

Liner:
http://www.warmnsafe.com/generation-...-heated-liner/

Gloves:
http://www.warmnsafe.com/ultimate-sp...heated-gloves/

Heat Troller:
http://www.warmnsafe.com/dual-remote...-heat-troller/
Note: The Heat Troller sending unit and wiring stashes away in the liner pocket, once installed, you'll not see or mess with it again. The only visible wire is the main Coax plug that you connect to the bike somewhere. Gloves plug into the jacket liner. Remote controller controls heat to each item independently. Works fantastic!

Last edited by Neanderthal; 06-28-2018 at 06:26 AM.
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:04 PM   #18
Dicko
Way more sport than tourer

Found these and they get good reviews.

Five heated gloved

Pricey though
Brembo 16mm Radial MC, ASV short Levers, Brembo GP4-RX calipers, Hell braided lines, R1 Fender, Ohlins FGRT 206 forks, Ohlins shock (tuned - Racebike Services), Marchesini rims, Vortex 48t sprocket, Arrow Headers - Micron GP slipon, tailtidy, Rizoma (risers, conical bars, Lux grips, bar ends, 744 mirrors, fluid reservoir, Rev rearsets/B Pro pegs), Speedo healer, BMC filter, AIS Block off, PCV (tuned - Neville Lush Racing), Pirelli DR III, Ivan's ECU, GF-Design LED Blinkers, DID gold chain
Dicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:52 PM   #19
hooligan998
Save a life, grope your wife!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjm View Post
I'll post a review once it gets cold out.
That should be in just a few weeks for you Great White North inhabitants, yeah?

edit:LOL...another old thread revived.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:18 AM   #20
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
Yes, old thread revival. But the winter here this year is a lot colder than usual. I am still riding, but in need of good winter heated gloves.

What are the current recommendations?

I have looked at
- Tourmaster Synergy 2.0 heated leather gloves
- Gerbing gloves

Any others that I should look at?

pros, cons?

Battery or plug into bike?

Are there any USB chargeable gloves yet? I couldn't find any - Big opportunity here for producers!

I am fortunate enough to live in an area I can ride year round, but the cold 2 degree C mornings this year are getting to me - yes that is Fn cold for me.... stir away.... We never see snow and and haven't had a winter this cold in decades. But this year global extremes have hit and I want warm hands!
If you can find the Tourmaster Synergy 2.0 in leather, in your size, I can recommend those since I used mine this winter and they work as well as when new. They aren't waterproof completely, but even after hours in soaking rain they will keep yours hands and fingers warm.

I believe they are being discontinued and TM moving to a battery powered solution. Sucks because these really work well.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear