register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 02-23-2018, 07:17 AM   #1
Gamecock
Retro Goodness!

Ride in to work

Finally got a nice day and not "other" stuff scheduled to get a nice ride into work. Albeit a short one (15 miles), it was nice to ride again anyway!

I don't know about your area where you live, but I've just really noticed the lack of sportbikes more and more over the last couple years. Seems 80% of what I see is cruisers. I probably see just as many ADV bikes as I do sportbikes. Kinda sad to me. Seems the peak of sportbikes, at least to me and what I've seen on the road, was mid 2000's.

To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,...... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive.
Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:29 AM   #2
fermic37

in the mid 2000s was when sportbikes were in their prime, shortly after yamaha revamped the whole segment with the new r1. Also when people had more money. Now they are just becoming too expensive to buy for something thats not very versatile.
fermic37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:31 AM   #3
Rttoys
insurance poor

I have seen more sport bikes recently. Usually, around here, its more sport bikes in the winter, then more cruisers in the summer.

'07 Yamaha FZ1- Micron GP slip-on, kitty gutted, Ivan's flies, Ivan's ECU programming, Exup eliminated, AIS blocked, air box mod, BMC filter, PCIII, synchronized throttle bodies, Corbin seat, Powerbronze screen, FZ6 Handlebars, Throttlemeister, Dunlop Q3

2009 Ducati Hypermotard
2014 Yamaha TW200
2013 Kawaski Ninja 300
2018 Honda Grom 125

FZ1- exhaust sound clip
2012 Honda Fury sound clip

CMRA #982
Rttoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:19 AM   #4
_Will_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock View Post
Finally got a nice day and not "other" stuff scheduled to get a nice ride into work. Albeit a short one (15 miles), it was nice to ride again anyway!

I don't know about your area where you live, but I've just really noticed the lack of sportbikes more and more over the last couple years. Seems 80% of what I see is cruisers. I probably see just as many ADV bikes as I do sportbikes. Kinda sad to me. Seems the peak of sportbikes, at least to me and what I've seen on the road, was mid 2000's.
The size of the crowd on BM certainly seems to have changed, I notice that the super naked seems to be creeping in slowly. Some variety at the top of the mountain is nice, in Tampa it always seemed to lean towards the custom (aka single color rattle can) GSXR.
_Will_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:58 AM   #5
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Aging population likes upright seating.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:29 AM   #6
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Will_ View Post
The size of the crowd on BM certainly seems to have changed, I notice that the super naked seems to be creeping in slowly. Some variety at the top of the mountain is nice, in Tampa it always seemed to lean towards the custom (aka single color rattle can) GSXR.
Lots of dual sports up there too, as there are many miles of forestry service roads to explore. Saw that Husky 701 Enduro when we stopped at the top, and began to drool.

Sun is beginning to peek out, temp is good. Need to get out.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:45 AM   #7
Gamecock
Retro Goodness!

I certainly contemplated trading/selling my FZ for a FJ-09

To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,...... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:24 PM   #8
Torchsport
Deer Whisperer

No motorcycle rides for us. Maybe snowmobiles.
Just got a fresh 8" of snow. 8" more coming tomorrow.

I've got the itch for bikes though. Walk past my 4 bikes every day in the house.
2006 Harley Davidson V-Rod Street Rod (*Not a real Harley)
2003 Yamaha YZF-R1 (My favorite generation)

*My reply: If you dont like motorcycles that handle/perform as one should, then yeah...the V-Rod is NOT a real Harley.
Torchsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:16 PM   #9
_Will_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchsport View Post
No motorcycle rides for us. Maybe snowmobiles.
Just got a fresh 8" of snow. 8" more coming tomorrow.

I've got the itch for bikes though. Walk past my 4 bikes every day in the house.
I wore my perforated jacket on a ride last night, I can almost sense March coming with a late season storm to ruin such conditions
_Will_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:42 PM   #10
rdcusmc

Was able to ride in to work today. It is glorious out - should have been out riding all damn day.

Best,
Ron

2003 Blue FZ1 - Ivan's MB Jet kit, Akrapovic, GOEC w/remote and GPS, 07 R1 fork conversion w/6 pot brakes, R1 master cylinder, R1 rear wheel w/R6 caliper, Penske shock, Dirt Road seat, AIS removed, HID and LED lights, full Givi luggage, Galfer lines, chain oiler, Rizoma bar, cat-eye turn signals above headlights, grip heaters, factory lower fairings, air box mod w/high flow filter, Cometic thin head gasket, FazerPhil large gas tank mod (in progress).
rdcusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:01 PM   #11
Gamecock
Retro Goodness!

My wife texted me to tell me our upstairs thermostat is showing 76! LOL

AC in Feb...gotta love the south.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:01 PM   #12
Gamecock
Retro Goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Will_ View Post
I wore my perforated jacket on a ride last night, I can almost sense March coming with a late season storm to ruin such conditions
Yep, wore mine in this AM with short sleeve golf shirt under it. Was perfect.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:01 PM   #13
val guy
Go Celtics!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermic37 View Post
in the mid 2000s was when sportbikes were in their prime, shortly after yamaha revamped the whole segment with the new r1. Also when people had more money. Now they are just becoming too expensive to buy for something thats not very versatile.
I think your comment about the cost is spot on. Yes, I know you get a lot of bang for your buck with modern sportbike machinery, but it's still a lot of money for what many would term a recreational vehicle. Yes, some people use their bikes as daily transportation, but by and large, they are fun toys/escape vehicles for nearly all of us. They are simply too expensive for a weekend toy. Here, sportbike sightings are on the decline as well. I've seen more sport tourers and cruisers than anything else for a while now. Every now and then the odd ADV (Super Tenere type) will surface, however.
val guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:11 PM   #14
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Rode out to lunch, ended up being a 2.5 hour ride. Lake Lanier is almost full again. What a beautiful February day!
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:06 AM   #15
organ donor

What are you defining as a sport bike, the super sport race replica bikes or standards and nakeds too? The race replicas are definitely down on sales which I blame on the arms race that pushed them further into a enjoyable only on the track category. However, the "naked" "standard" class of bikes are still selling well and I still call them sport bikes based their performance.
organ donor is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion