register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Service & Maintenance > Gen 2 Service & Maintenance

Old 08-09-2018, 07:30 PM   #21
Wizbyu
Wizbyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan diego View Post
I do not find as many opportunities to check the other gears for any slippage but yesterday made a focused effort. I was only able to get the momentary slip in 1st gear (at ~ 7k rpm). The clutch did not slip in 2nd or 3rd.
It dose sound like you have some slipping from what your saying,but you say it only slips in 1st gear and for it to slip and then grab is telling me something is out of alinement or warped ( used steel plates ) did you replace the steel plates along with the fiber plates if so then, let's look at alinement is the dot on the presser plate lined up with the clutch hub/basket, and as you install the clutch cover you need to rotate the arm, is it out of time with the paw/gear, and last of all stack height, it may be possible, if it's to short you could get what is happening now slips at 4k then with stronger springs it would hold till the higher 6k but I'm still trying to wrap my head why it would not keep slipping, unless you were to roll off the throttle when it happens, and then theres oil what are you using, there are some that don't work well with wet clutches.I would take it apart and look everything over , look for hot spots on the steel plates, check to make sure theres nothing binding on the presser plate or that it's not topping out as to not let it hold the plates. Good luck let us know what you find.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:08 AM   #22
fermic37

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
Dude, no disrespect meant. I have never heard of such a thing............. I certainly dont know everything. How can gears slip? They mate on both horizontal and vertical planes. They are also designed so they "grip" gearshaft via a key or keys (usually a spline or keyed) These gears are hardened as are gearshafts. For them to slip would mean a rotation of gear on the shaft.
I suppose it could happen but, catastrophic failure would soon follow....... meaning first gear would never grab and simply be ineffective. If youve seen this in a YZ I suppose someone needs to redesign or strengthen them. Cool?
Just google yz426 or yz450 5th gear slipping, if you want to expand your brain! Bent shift forks, dogs, and other issues can cause a particular gear to "slip" not just pop out.

http://www.supermotoforum.co.uk/arch.../t-17272.html?

Or google fz1/r1/r6 slipping in 1st or 2nd gear, lots of explanations as to how it happens, you don't always loose the gear entirely.

Not at all saying it cant still be the clutch, but since its only in one gear (oddly 1st, it usually happens in 2nd since that's the most abused gear) and after three slipping clutches in this bike, ether its extreme installer error, or something else.

Also not at all saying im right, I admittedly have no idea how the inner workings of the fz transmission work since ive yet to have to dive into one, its just something else to consider if it were me trouble shooting my own bike.

Last edited by fermic37; 08-10-2018 at 05:36 AM.
fermic37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:44 PM   #23
dan diego

Thank you all for your help. I did some more work on it today but was not able to resolve it. Here is the the results from today.

wizbyu said I should verify "43.1mm - 43.9mm for the stack height". I measured my stack height at 43.3mm so within spec although at the lower side. I added steel plate to see if it made a difference in performance but symptom was the same. Adding the extra steel exceeded the max stack height by 1.4mm but the clutch revealed no obvious performance problems but again not resolving my problem. I plan to remove the extra plate.

I also tried to test my clutch for slippage: "bike is rolling along in 4th gear at low rpms. Whack the throttle wide open. This will load the clutch and if it is bad, it will slip."
The clutch did not slip at all during this test.
dan diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:15 PM   #24
fermic37

Did you install the aftermarket clutch? If so what was wrong with the original?

Or did you buy the bike with that clutch in it with it slipping?
Old 08-10-2018, 03:54 PM   #25
dan diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky80 View Post
maybe its not the clutch slipping, but the rear tire spinning up a bit and loosing traction. Since it only happens in first gear, that could be possible.

I had that problem with my stock rear shock... put on a Penske and it went away immediately.
I have to check this possibility out. I have an Elka 3 way shock which I will need to research how to set up properly for my weight. I would be grateful if anyone has any documentation on these shocks. Their website is lacking and their youtube videos I've found so far are not helpful to me.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:15 PM   #26
dan diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermic37 View Post
Did you install the aftermarket clutch? If so what was wrong with the original?

Or did you buy the bike with that clutch in it with it slipping?
I bought the bike recently. I did not detect the slipping clutch during the test ride. I did not hammer the throttle then. After the purchase and when more comfortable on the bike, I was more aggressive on the throttle. It was then I discovered the clutch was slipping. I would grab the throttle and accelerate to about 4k rmps, then the rmps would shoot up with no more power to the wheels. I would clutch in wait for the rpms to come down and then release the clutch and continue on being gentle. As I replaced the old clutch with an OEM clutch, I could see that the old clutch that was slipping was not OEM. The steel plates and the fiber plates were different than the OEM.

After the OEM was installed, I was getting what I believed to be a moment of slippage after which the bike would continue to accelerate. The event is so quick, I am not able to react. I am now considering that the clutch is not slipping but instead my wheel is momentarily breaking traction as another poster has suggested. The momentary event does not happen every time I hammer the throttle. It does only happens in first gear. I will pay attention to the surfaces when it does and does not momentarily slip.

I have a 3-way Elka shock that I am going to try to dial in and see if it has any effect. If anyone has set up guide or advice, I would be grateful to check it out.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:34 PM   #27
fermic37

Was it a high milage bike to warrant the po to install a clutch? Was the bike otherwise stock? Was the po a younger person?

If your tire was spinning you would know and it would keep spinning as you kept on the throttle. .

Only time mines ever spun was when it was 32 degrees out and I just had the restrictions removed in a flash. Normally it just raises the front up in the air at those rpms
Old 08-10-2018, 06:04 PM   #28
dan diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermic37 View Post
Was it a high milage bike to warrant the po to install a clutch? Was the bike otherwise stock? Was the po a younger person?

If your tire was spinning you would know and it would keep spinning as you kept on the throttle. .

Only time mines ever spun was when it was 32 degrees out and I just had the restrictions removed in a flash. Normally it just raises the front up in the air at those rpms
The bike has ~40k. It was well cared for. The story that went with the bike (from 2nd owner who thought it was too much power for him) was the original owner was a service manager at a local dealership so therefore has much aftermarket stuff. Elka shock. Yoshi pipe. Lowered pegs and raised bars for taller rider. Power Commander. Bike has been meticulously cared for. I doubt that the 2nd owner got the clutch to slip. If he did, I've no doubt he would have fixed it.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:55 PM   #29
arkie6

What pressure do you run the rear tire? If near the max rating, you might try lowering the pressure 3-4 psi and see if this has any effect.
arkie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:46 AM   #30
bjamick

Pretty sure you’re hazing the rear tire. Not sure how as my bike doesn’t do it normally, but you could have a worn tire, or very hard compound tire. It didn’t slip in the 4th gear roll on then your clutch is fine.

Another thing to check, (but would make a horrendous noise) would be one of the sprockets skipping teeth. With all that mileage I’m sure they’ve been replaced.
1993 mustang coupe with ls1. Oh and N2O.
bjamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:56 AM   #31
arkie6

Oh yeah. I forgot about the front sprocket as a possible cause for "clutch slipping" in the lower gears only. Have you inspected the front sprocket? When were the chain and sprockets last replaced?

arkie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:31 PM   #32
dan diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
Oh yeah. I forgot about the front sprocket as a possible cause for "clutch slipping" in the lower gears only. Have you inspected the front sprocket? When were the chain and sprockets last replaced?

Drive sprocket looks fine. I was going to upload picture of mine but have not figured out how to yet. Rear sprocket looks fine and chain too although it may be bit too tight. I will look in the service manual for guidance on that.

I am running the recommend Michelin Pilot tires, front at 35 and rear at 36. I know that recommended is 42 in rear per yamaha.

Not sure what I can check at this time. Also worth noting, it seemed that the momentary slippage happened a little later (6-7k instead of 4k) after ECB springs installed but lately most of the momentary slippage events are happening closer to 4k again. The momentary slippage does not always happen when I hammer the throttle in first. It seems to happen every third time, give or take.

Likely nothing but maybe worth mentioning. When removing old clutch, I inadvertently pulled off the clutch housing off of the spline gears. I immediately replaced it and believe that I have on the same as it came off. But if that were off a tooth, would that matter? Could it present a symptom I am seeing?

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Service & Maintenance > Gen 2 Service & Maintenance