register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance

Old 08-09-2018, 08:08 AM   #1
AFM674
135mph turn 1 at Laguna-Wee!

Looking to try a new map for my bad boy

I'm getting a lot of popping on down shifts. I do a lot of putting around town, but my main focus is riding at 1000-2500 feet and I feel like the bike has just a little more performance in her?. Maybe it'll turn 145ish on the dyno...which is plenty...I just want better gas mileage and a little cleaner smell coming from my exhaust pipe. I didn't think it would be popping like this. Everything has been removed properly I think. I'm stopping by Loosenuts in a few days and I thought I might load a few new maps to try out at my trackday. It smells a little rich, but it runs pretty damn good. I know I should get it on a dyno...and I will in the spring. The bike has full graves, Ivans flash, stacks, airbox mod & all smog crap removed etc.

Later Fizzers!

09' FZ1
Mods:CRG Levers - Sargent Seats - Goodridge Lines F&R - EBC R Rotor - Vesrah XX Pads - Braking 320mm SK2 Frt Rotors - Ohlins Shock - 08 R1 forks, Vortex R/Sets, Apex clipons - Superlite RS8 44t Rear & Superlite XD Series 15t C/S -520 D.I.D ERV3 Gold chain - GIpro X-type Gear indicator - Graves Full Exh - Ivanized ECU - Hyper Pro Damper - Annitori Quick Shifter - K-Tech 24SSRK C & R Valves - Graves Stacks - Brembo RCS19 M/C - 1/6 R6 throttle tube - ZG DB Screen.

Last edited by AFM674; 08-09-2018 at 07:32 PM.
AFM674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:17 AM   #2
giddyup

Watching this thread.

Mine is popping on downshifts as well. Seems to be getting worse.
Have slip on, stock air box, AIS blocked, O2 dongle etc...
I have emailed Ivan (he did the flash) twice but have yet to receive a response.
I wanted some additional maps to play with.
You would think that for the high cost and small amount of time required to flash an ECU that you would get all the possible maps so you could try them or change them as the bike gets modded.
I have tried Whittlebeasts (sp?) averaged map with same results.
Will getting the bike dyno'd eliminate the popping?

Past Rides: Kawasaki KX80, Honda CB350, CAN-AM 125 Qualifier, CAN-AM 250MX, CAN-AM 500MX, 1990 Kawasaki ZX6, 2001/2003 KLR 650, 2006 Yamaha FZ1
Current Rides: 2012 Yamaha FZ1/2014 KTM 690 Enduro
giddyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:52 AM   #3
okrider

Could your AIS plate bolts be working loose?
okrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:19 AM   #4
Gamecock
Retro Goodness!

Mine used to pop until I got it custom mapped. The map I ran some suggested after my flash was WAY rich, to the point on getting barely 100 miles on a tank. My dyno and thread is out there somewhere. But you can't beat a custom map.

To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,...... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive.
Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:27 AM   #5
giddyup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock View Post
Mine used to pop until I got it custom mapped. The map I ran some suggested after my flash was WAY rich, to the point on getting barely 100 miles on a tank. My dyno and thread is out there somewhere. But you can't beat a custom map.
No popping at all after custom map?

Past Rides: Kawasaki KX80, Honda CB350, CAN-AM 125 Qualifier, CAN-AM 250MX, CAN-AM 500MX, 1990 Kawasaki ZX6, 2001/2003 KLR 650, 2006 Yamaha FZ1
Old 08-09-2018, 05:25 PM   #6
Dicko
Way more sport than tourer

Quote:
Agree 100%

Quote:
No popping at all after custom map?
It still pops, but is greatly reduced. With an aftermarket exhaust you can't stop it. The stock exhaust masks the sound so you don't hear it as much.
Brembo 16mm Radial MC, ASV short Levers, Brembo GP4-RX calipers, Hell braided lines, R1 Fender, Ohlins FGRT 206 forks, Ohlins shock (tuned - Racebike Services), Marchesini rims, Vortex 48t sprocket, Arrow Headers - Micron GP slipon, tailtidy, Rizoma (risers, conical bars, Lux grips, bar ends, 744 mirrors, fluid reservoir, Rev rearsets/B Pro pegs), Speedo healer, BMC filter, AIS Block off, PCV (tuned - Neville Lush Racing), Pirelli DR III, Ivan's ECU, GF-Design LED Blinkers, DID gold chain
Dicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:25 PM   #7
AFM674

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrider View Post
Could your AIS plate bolts be working loose?
Possibly...something to check and eliminate as a problem.

Quote:
I'm getting 100 miles going down hill. I'm definitely getting a custom tune before next spring. I'm just looking for a few maps that might run just a little bit leaner. I've got the maps...I just need to load a few and see how she runs. I haven't loaded maps into my pc5 before...I know it's not hard to do.

09' FZ1
Mods:CRG Levers - Sargent Seats - Goodridge Lines F&R - EBC R Rotor - Vesrah XX Pads - Braking 320mm SK2 Frt Rotors - Ohlins Shock - 08 R1 forks, Vortex R/Sets, Apex clipons - Superlite RS8 44t Rear & Superlite XD Series 15t C/S -520 D.I.D ERV3 Gold chain - GIpro X-type Gear indicator - Graves Full Exh - Ivanized ECU - Hyper Pro Damper - Annitori Quick Shifter - K-Tech 24SSRK C & R Valves - Graves Stacks - Brembo RCS19 M/C - 1/6 R6 throttle tube - ZG DB Screen.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:29 AM   #8
Gamecock
Retro Goodness!

Like Dicko said, not none, but greatly reduced.

AFM, I've had to put gave in the tank at 70 miles before at track days LOL!

To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,...... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive.
Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:19 AM   #9
Duken4evr
Map Maven

I am running Ivan's map and ECU flash, leaned the small throttle openings a little, but if I went to far with that, it lost the creamy feel and became a little buzzy. Backed off my leaning a tad, and the creamy vibrationless "please rev the crap out of me" personality that I love about his settings returned. I think I have tweaked it to the point where it is as lean as it can be, without becoming buzzy. It is interesting how much the fuel settings affect engine vibes. Mine has no popping or crackling at all, but the Akra pipe I have is pretty quiet until the engine is put to work, then it sounds great

Once the tach goes above 7 with some throttle behind it, there is no such thing as fuel economy. I suspect that is most of your problem

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:05 AM   #10
giddyup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
I am running Ivan's map and ECU flash, leaned the small throttle openings a little, but if I went to far with that, it lost the creamy feel and became a little buzzy. Backed off my leaning a tad, and the creamy vibrationless "please rev the crap out of me" personality that I love about his settings returned. I think I have tweaked it to the point where it is as lean as it can be, without becoming buzzy. It is interesting how much the fuel settings affect engine vibes. Mine has no popping or crackling at all, but the Akra pipe I have is pretty quiet until the engine is put to work, then it sounds great

Once the tach goes above 7 with some throttle behind it, there is no such thing as fuel economy. I suspect that is most of your problem
Good info. Thanks!
The tach goes below 7k? lol

Old 08-11-2018, 02:06 AM   #11
deundeun

giddyup I Can understand why you are angry if Ivan doesn't answer (maybe we Can understand why).
You have paid for a tuning (flash and map) according to a specific setting. The others maps are for another setting. You don't want maps for Super Duke 1290 to play with for sure...
One specific bike with one specific setting Can have an infinite number of maps ie motoGP where there is a map for each corner, each straight line because of fuel economy, vibes, cooling engine, reving softly, and so on...
Playing with maps for different settings is useless if they are made the same way with same goals.
You Can play with different maps for your specific setting but as Duken4evr said you will loose something when you will gain another thing.

AIS removed and 0 map -> popping
" " Ivan's map -> no popping at all.
Duken4evr I have made the same with the 0% column only, to reduce smelling gas when riding in city but it is no more as soft when I re-open throttle...

Last edited by deundeun; 08-11-2018 at 02:26 AM.
deundeun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:07 AM   #12
giddyup

Quote:
Originally Posted by deundeun View Post
giddyup I Can understand why you are angry if Ivan doesn't answer (maybe we Can understand why).
You have paid for a tuning (flash and map) according to a specific setting. The others maps are for another setting. You don't want maps for Super Duke 1290 to play with for sure...
One specific bike with one specific setting Can have an infinite number of maps ie motoGP where there is a map for each corner, each straight line because of fuel economy, vibes, cooling engine, reving softly, and so on...
Playing with maps for different settings is useless if they are made the same way with same goals.
You Can play with different maps for your specific setting but as Duken4evr said you will loose something when you will gain another thing.

AIS removed and 0 map -> popping
" " Ivan's map -> no popping at all.
Duken4evr I have made the same with the 0% column only, to reduce smelling gas when riding in city but it is no more as soft when I re-open throttle...
I don't want maps for the SD 1290 or any other bike I did not pay a flash for.
What I am saying is that if I pay for a flash for a 2012 FZ1 then I should get all the maps for most mods he has for the 2012 FZ1.
If I pay to have an ECU flashed and do not have the air box mod done at the time I ordered the flash, imo i should still get the map that has the airbox mod in case I decide to do it down the road.
Similarly for a cat gut...I don't have the cat gutted yet but what if I do it next year?
I really do not want to keep going to get a $300cdn custom map every time I do a mod.

Claims have been made that all mods have been thoroughly tested on personal machine so I assume the maps for each mod are available.
Claims that state, "Gets rid of annoying popping and banging during decel" are simply not accurate.

To date I still have not heard anything back and will be taking my bike to get a custom map locally after I get back from east coast. Just my 2 cents and rant for the day.

Old 08-12-2018, 09:45 AM   #13
AFM674

Quote:
Like Dicko said, not none, but greatly reduced.

AFM, I've had to put gave in the tank at 70 miles before at track days LOL!
I also have had the gas light flash at 70 miles on my street rides. That's with a totally topped off tank. I don't really care that much about mileage, but I'd like to get 25mpg WFO and maybe 30mpg in full cruise mode. I don't think this is going to happen. I just want the popping fixed and maps dialed in. I will ultimately get it on a dyno next year, but just looking for some things that can be done right in the garage. Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post

I might have to pm you and have a talk over the phone about some of your ideas. This bike runs pretty good, but I think it can be better by just trying a few new settings etc. I know the Yosh pipe has some good midrange, but I like the looks of my Graves. I did just buy a Arrow GP2 that I want to try out at some point. Which ever pipe runs better is fine with me...I like the look of the Arrow also. Later...I'll pm you sometime in the future. I have a trackday this Tuesday following the MotoAmerica race at Sonoma. Cameron kicked some ass yesterday. He needs to go to Europe very soon...he's getting old...Ha Ha.

09' FZ1

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 2 Exhausts, Fueling & Performance