register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Service & Maintenance > Gen 1 Service & Maintenance

Old 04-15-2018, 05:13 AM   #1
rdcusmc

RECOATING for Gas Tank

Getting ready to coat the inside of my gas tank and I'm reaching out to hear the experience of others. I've heard good things about Red Kite, Por 15, KBS. Anyone have experience/advice on any of these or other products? Caswell's seems particularly interesting as it is a 2 part epoxy and less subject to the ill effects of the acetone based products.

Best,
Ron

2003 Blue FZ1 - Ivan's MB Jet kit, Akrapovic, GOEC w/remote and GPS, 07 R1 fork conversion w/6 pot brakes, R1 master cylinder, R1 rear wheel w/R6 caliper, Penske shock, Dirt Road seat, AIS removed, HID and LED lights, full Givi luggage, Galfer lines, chain oiler, Rizoma bar, cat-eye turn signals above headlights, grip heaters, factory lower fairings, air box mod w/high flow filter, Cometic thin head gasket, FazerPhil large gas tank mod (in progress).
rdcusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:50 AM   #2
WileECoyote
Rebel Scum

I've done two tanks with Por. Easy job, swish around dry, clean tank making sure vents are clear when a touch set up. I simply poked a wire through vent and rechecked when even more set-up. The KLR tank was a bit tough as it had deep pockets on the forward sides. That FZ tank should be straight forward and fairly easy.
Co rider and mechanic, No current wins, cant seem to get around them anvils........sometimes tunnels arent really open......falls from cliffs usually slow me down..........WTF, where'd that piano come from?
Currently: '05 and '12 Aprilia Tuonos, 09 FZ1, 06 FZ1, 89 FZR1000
My long lost love.......1987 FZ700
WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:22 AM   #3
rdcusmc

WEC,
Thanks for this. Still researching. Looking forward to getting this project completed!

Ron

2003 Blue FZ1 - Ivan's MB Jet kit, Akrapovic, GOEC w/remote and GPS, 07 R1 fork conversion w/6 pot brakes, R1 master cylinder, R1 rear wheel w/R6 caliper, Penske shock, Dirt Road seat, AIS removed, HID and LED lights, full Givi luggage, Galfer lines, chain oiler, Rizoma bar, cat-eye turn signals above headlights, grip heaters, factory lower fairings, air box mod w/high flow filter, Cometic thin head gasket, FazerPhil large gas tank mod (in progress).
rdcusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:51 AM   #4
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Not really relevant to your question, but after my big crash in summer of 2015. I swapped tanks and got one from grommet. Inside was rusted, I just used muraitic acid solution, cleaned it out, sprayed WD40 all over the inside until I could get some gas in it, and never recoated the tank due to reading how the coating likes to come off in a few years and then clogs the tank. I have micro surface rust near the filler cap but the inside is still nice and clear. Looked at the filter a few weeks ago (aftermarket clear auto filter) and it's still clean as well.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Service & Maintenance > Gen 1 Service & Maintenance