register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion

Old 10-22-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

Who's switched from one gen to another?

For whatever reason - by choice, or not - who's made the switch? I'm curious to hear thoughts on the differences from those that have owned both.
..a

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
Freezin
Oh no

Oh no, this should be interesting! Lol. Seriously though, I've had a hard time deciding whether to just keep my Gen1 or go Gen2 so I'm interested in hearing too.
Freezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
MARK BYRD
crash dummy

It easy!!! if you want more of a sportbike go with the Gen2.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
JEP
Suite!

I put 24,000 miles on a Gen 1 in 3 years before totalling it.
I bought a Gen 2 this year and have only put 2000 miles on it so far.

I liked the touring comfort and range of the Gen 1. The extra 50 to 70 miles on a tank of gas is really missed.

The Gen 2 "feels" better to me in almost every other way. The center of gravity feels lower, it feels like it turns in better. I didn't think Gen 1s looked "old" until you see one next to a Gen 2. The on/off of the fuel injection makes me crazy.

My
JEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:39 PM   #5
750nut

Would make a great poll.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
CrazyBiker
Smooottthhh....

ridden both .. other than the fuel range, gen2 all the way... mpg was also equal
Elka Stg4 Shock|R1 Forks,MC|HEL Lines|3-way Levers|Giles Rearsets|Ivan ECU Flash|Micron Full System|Lars|BMC|Roth Stacks,AIE|Flies|PC5|SHv4|CF/CNC bits|T-Rex|Spencer Seat|Oxford Heated Grips|HIDs|Proton LEDs

2012 S1000RR Premium Motorsport
Brock Full Exhaust|GPR Damper|Sato Rearsets|Sargent Seat|GBR/Woodcraft protectors

2014 S1000R Premium White
Akra GP,Rizoma mirrors,Ermax Bellypan,Tecbike CAT,V-stream,Wunderlich Seat,360° LED signals,R&G+Puig Protection
CrazyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:04 PM   #7
Rockin SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEP View Post
I put 24,000 miles on a Gen 1 in 3 years before totalling it.
I bought a Gen 2 this year and have only put 2000 miles on it so far.

I liked the touring comfort and range of the Gen 1. The extra 50 to 70 miles on a tank of gas is really missed.

The Gen 2 "feels" better to me in almost every other way. The center of gravity feels lower, it feels like it turns in better. I didn't think Gen 1s looked "old" until you see one next to a Gen 2. The on/off of the fuel injection makes me crazy.

My
I'm curious about your problems with the fuel injection, is your bike an '06? Have you tried a Power Commander? Or is there still on/off problems with these mods too?
Rockin SV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #8
hunter-scout
Banned

elfguy, you'll just need ivan's fce and no problem with the mega snatch with roll on after chop in twisties.

You'll have to put the money into the mods, too, for g2. Lower bars are totally necessary for twisties. But once you got it all done, the g2 will just make ya glow after each and EVERY loop.

Crap, I'm going thru withdrawals today as we had heavy drizzle getting everything wet around here. Rain all weekend, too.

SO, you looking to move into a g2?
hunter-scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:20 PM   #9
homsh
Plotting your demise

I had 2 gen1s then decided what the heck and got an 06 Gen2. Hated the bike, the fuel injection drove me nuts (yes I had a fce) and the suspension was crap. I had a gen1 a gen2 and a bandit 1250 all at the same time. The gen2 was the first to go then the bandit and now I have a just about perfectly (to me) setup gen1. Wont be switching again.

To me if you boil down the US to one person he would be a Flyers fan.
homsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:47 PM   #10
CrazyBiker
Smooottthhh....

gen1 suspension last I heard is crappier.
Elka Stg4 Shock|R1 Forks,MC|HEL Lines|3-way Levers|Giles Rearsets|Ivan ECU Flash|Micron Full System|Lars|BMC|Roth Stacks,AIE|Flies|PC5|SHv4|CF/CNC bits|T-Rex|Spencer Seat|Oxford Heated Grips|HIDs|Proton LEDs

Brock Full Exhaust|GPR Damper|Sato Rearsets|Sargent Seat|GBR/Woodcraft protectors

Akra GP,Rizoma mirrors,Ermax Bellypan,Tecbike CAT,V-stream,Wunderlich Seat,360° LED signals,R&G+Puig Protection
Old 10-23-2010, 03:40 AM   #11
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

I knew I should have posted that I'm not really looking to switch, just curious for long-term impressions between the two. Of course, it's always in the back of my mind, especially when these deals pop up within reasonable distance..

Suspension is going to need to be set up/mod'd for every rider, I would expect you can get both to work equally well? Although I'm sure there's benefits to the inverted forks on the later models.

My throttle comes on hard, it's fine once you have a little dialed in, very easy to control, but from full "off" to even "just a little" is a very brutal transition. I had a 'moment' yesterday, had to slow quickly turning onto a small side street from 60-mph traffic flow on a divided highway, and felt the back step out as I rolled it on again. I keep wondering if there's a way to 'soften' that initial 'bite' on the throttle on a carb'd bike.

Anyway, keep it coming!
..a

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:06 AM   #12
chaparral

Location: Guernsey channel islands uk (35mph max speed limit)
Me Me me

My gen1 (traded in for gen2)

My gen2
chaparral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:13 AM   #13
homsh
Plotting your demise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBiker View Post
gen1 suspension last I heard is crappier.
Well I guess u heard wrong.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:20 AM   #14
upinsmoke
What ya gonna do about it

Read this: http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...t=switched+Gen

2014 Triumph STR
upinsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:25 AM   #15
JEP
Suite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin SV View Post
I'm curious about your problems with the fuel injection, is your bike an '06? Have you tried a Power Commander? Or is there still on/off problems with these mods too?
No PC yet. It will be a cheap fix for the on/off transition next spring.

I'd add that the lack of range is really only a problem on very long day rides and touring (like when I want to ride for 3 hours without a break). When I use the bike for commuting, it's not a problem.
JEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:21 AM   #16
homsh
Plotting your demise

Quote:
Originally Posted by upinsmoke View Post
Yeah I'm sure his suspension was great after over $2k in upgrades. Stock it sucks. The rear shock is non adjustable non rebuildable garbage and the front end is fair at best.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:40 AM   #17
upinsmoke
What ya gonna do about it

^JD's suspension was stock, the Gen1 was upgraded. It would appear the Gen1 suspension is lacking some, the Gen2 is a little harsh on the high speed comp.

2014 Triumph STR
upinsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:01 AM   #18
CrazyBiker
Smooottthhh....

Not to mention JD's is stock tired one with over 20k miles. I donnow he has serviced them yet though.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:01 AM   #19
hunter-scout
Banned

I installed hyper pro shock which I like a lot. And I love the stock forks on the 06.
hunter-scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:25 PM   #20
soxfan

I own both a gen 1 and gen 2 both modified with some performance goodies. I purchased my 2004 gen 1 skunk in 2005 as a left over and put almost 20K mile on it so far. This past spring I got the bug to purchase a gen 2 and got an 07 in cobalt blue. Like others have said the gen 1 has more fuel range by ~50 - 75 miles due to a slightly larger tank. The Gen 1 also is very comfortable to ride on very long days. Longest day this year for me was a little over 550 miles on the gen 1. I was comfortable all day.
The gen 2 is a sportier version of the gen1. less fuel range not as comfortable on really long days (for me any way. your experience may vary) The Gen 2 is quicker to turn in due to the geometry of the bike. The set up is more sport than sport tour. I do enjoy the aggressive ergos of my gen 2 especially on the tight twisty back roads.

The suspension on my gen 2 feels better than my gen 1 (both are stock set-ups for now). The gen 1 feels softer and the gen 2 is firmer.

Fuel injection vs carburated is another difference. The FI just cranks right up where the carbs need some choke and idle time. no big deal either way, but FI is a little nicer.

The gauge clusters are analog (dials with needles) on the gen 1 and digital (with analog tach) on the gen2. It is much easier to see your speed with a quick glance down with the gen2 digital display.

bottom line is they are both really great bikes!!! it is a hard choice to make if you had to chose just one. it all really depends on your riding style and your personality.

One last thought... Gen1's are abundant and can be purchased fairly cheap these days. So if you are budget minded you can have a really great gen 1 for around $3500 with plenty of goodies already on it. The motors are almost indestructable and will last a very lone time if cared for properly. Gen 2's can also be had sorta cheap but not as cheap as the Gen1 these days.

hope this helps.

2007 Gen II Cobalt Blue | Ivans FCE | MIVV GP CF slip-on | Tech Spec tank pads | frame sliders | CD flies | PC3 | Lars air box mod | de-screened stock air filter | cat gut | CF chin cowl | Jwhelan rad screen |
soxfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion