register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Tips & Techniques

Old 12-08-2002, 06:06 PM   #1
lowtone2

Motoport GP-1 Kevlar Suit

I don`t want to get into the Aerostich vs Motoport/
leather vs textile thing. I just want to know if anyone has experience with this suit.

The website is crap ,no information .

Is this something intended to be worn over street clothes ,like an Aerostich? How water "resistant"
etc...

Old 12-08-2002, 07:30 PM   #2
wArDoG

Re: Motoport GP-1 Kevlar Suit

I think MCN had a write up about it last spring. I'll try to dig it up.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:05 AM   #3
lowtone2

OK, if you can ,thanks. Looks like nobody has one .

I`m trying to get out of paying all that money for a roadcrafter.
Old 12-10-2002, 06:57 AM   #4
wArDoG

Sorry lowtone. I looked through my back issues and couldn't find it. Must have been one of the other magazines. I'll keep and eye out for it and let you know if I find it.
Old 12-12-2002, 02:09 PM   #5
lowtone2

motoport

I went ahead and ordered a two-piece Roadcrafter ,so it doesn`t matter now. Thanks for looking though.
Old 01-15-2003, 04:45 PM   #6
phoenix

nothing but good things to say about motoport

they gave me new armor when it cracked after 5 years, replaced a bad zipper after 8 yrs....free. the suit is now 11 yrs old and I wear it to commute in...love it.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:37 PM   #7
inigo montoya2

kevlar version

Wanted to bring this back to life, the Kevlar suits are over half off at Motoport and I am considering it. Anyone got some experience with the Kevlar version? Specifically would this work on the track? Not heavy weekly racing, but the 3 times a year open track day kind of exposure. Thinking about a full blown suit, but wanted to keep the Kevlar/Cordura idea open as compared to leather. Felt it might be a little more versatile on rides around town and would get more use out of it.
Old 02-23-2003, 07:38 AM   #8
talk2troy

More USER info... BMW vs. Aerostitch vs. Motoport

I read this thread already... pub29.ezboard.com/ffz1own...21&stop=40

I really want to know about the Moto's and BMW's "user friendliness".

What appeals to me MOST about the Aero suit is the "easy on / off" for EVERYDAY wear. How about the BMW and Moto? I don't do many 1000-2000 mile trips in the rain... so I don't care about that much... but I DO a few track days and lots of commuting, wheelies and weekend warrior riding.

I have heard plenty of people say the Aero survives the common crash (even several of them) on the street and track. I am sure the others do too...

I assume the Moto will crash fine or it wouldn't have FIM approval... but I have not read any more testamonials about their suits than Bster13's in that debate w/ Desmo and Rabeet's comment "I own a Motoport jacket. I think it is a stiff piece of junk. Anyway, I've got clothing of both materials and much prefer the stuff BMW is using. When I was comparing, I looked for relatively good protection (leather being the standard) and something that was comfortable to wear"

Anyone else on the "day to day" life with the suit?
Taking it on and off, storing it, etc.
Old 02-23-2003, 02:41 PM   #9
inigo montoya2

Re: More USER info... BMW vs. Aerostitch vs. Motoport

After some research, I am leaning more towards a 'stitch for about the same reason you mention. I may hit a track day or two, but that will be in a while and not that frequent. My thought was something for the track that I would be comfortable wearing on weekend rides. The Motoport Kevlar GP-1 is not designed as overwear, it is like leathers, designed to be worn by itself. The suit is CHEAP right now, at a loss even. They were sold out of the big sizes though. They have other stuff that you can wear over street clothes for commuting and not looking too Star Wars when you get off the bike and walk around. Refer to that other thread for that outfit info; I am leaning towards 'stitch b/c it might be found secondhand, more well known (tested) and are allowed on the track.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:39 PM   #10
swanski

motoport Kevlar

I have a Motoport Ultra II Kevlar jacket and pants and I love em. It is definitely NOT stiff. In fact its very comfortable indeed! The Kevlar material, which is a mix of Kevlar, Cordora and Lycra, is somewhat stretchy, and I was really suprised by how light it is compared to the Cordura version which a friend of mine has. I have the ugly hi-vis yellow one and while it is really quite ugly, I do notice that drivers seem to notice me better. I am VERY happy with mine. Haven't had to test the Gore-Tex liner yet.
It was expensive but I highly recommend it

Swanski

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Tips & Techniques